101 Biology Capstone Project Ideas to Get You Started
Dec 28, 2022 | 0 comments
Dec 28, 2022 | Topics | 0 comments
Are you struggling to develop a topic for your college or university biology capstone project? Look no further! Here is a list of biology capstone project ideas to get you started on your research journey. From the human body to human cloning, these ideas cover a wide range of fascinating and relevant biology topics that will spark your curiosity and inspire you to create an amazing project.
Simple biology capstone project ideas
- The effects of acid rain on plant growth
- The process of photosynthesis in plants
- The role of the human immune system in fighting disease
- The impact of environmental pollution on human health
- The effects of different diets on human health
- The process of human reproduction and development
- The impact of climate change on animal populations
- The role of genetics in the development of cancer
- The effects of different exercise regimes on human health
- The role of the human gut microbiome in overall health
- The process of cellular respiration in animals
- The effects of different types of fertilizers on plant growth
- The role of DNA in the development of traits
- The impact of pesticides on the environment
- The effects of different types of stress on human health
- The process of human digestion and the role of enzymes
- The impact of pollution on marine ecosystems
- The role of genetics in the development of mental disorders
- The effects of different types of exercise on muscle growth
- The role of hormones in the regulation of human behavior
Biology Research Paper Topics for College Students
- The process of cellular division in animals and plants
- The effects of different types of soil on plant growth
- The role of DNA in the development of inherited diseases
- The impact of deforestation on the environment
- The effects of different types of drugs on the human body
- The process of human respiration and the role of the respiratory system
- The impact of pollution on freshwater ecosystems
- The role of genetics in the development of physical traits
- The effects of different types of exercise on cardiovascular health
- The role of hormones in the menstrual cycle
- The process of protein synthesis in cells
- The effects of different types of light on plant growth
- The role of DNA in the development of cancer
- The impact of climate change on plant populations
- The effects of different types of bacteria on human health
- The process of human bone growth and development
- The impact of pollution on air quality
- The role of genetics in the development of personality traits
- The effects of different types of exercise on weight loss
- The role of hormones in the development of secondary sexual characteristics
Biology capstone project Topics for High school
- The process of DNA replication in cells
- The effects of different types of nutrients on plant growth
- The role of DNA in the development of inherited disorders
- The impact of pollution on soil quality
- The effects of different types of bacteria on plant health
- The process of human nerve cell development and function
- The impact of climate change on animal behavior
- The role of genetics in the development of behavioral traits
- The effects of different types of exercise on cognitive function
- The role of hormones in the regulation of appetite
- The process of transcription and translation in protein synthesis
- The effects of different types of herbicides on plant growth
- The role of DNA in the development of physical traits
- The impact of pollution on the ozone layer
- The effects of different types of viruses on human health
- The process of human muscle growth and development
- The impact of climate change on plant physiology
- The role of genetics in the development of intelligence
- The effects of different types of exercise on mental health
- The role of hormones in the regulation of mood
Interesting Biology capstone project ideas
- The process of DNA sequencing and its applications in genetics
- The effects of different types of pesticides on animal health
- The role of DNA in the development of inherited traits
- The impact of pollution on human respiratory health
- The effects of different types of bacteria on animal health
- The process of human skin cell growth and repair
- The impact of climate change on animal physiology
- The role of genetics in the development of allergies
- The effects of different types of exercise on bone density
- The role of hormones in the regulation of metabolism
- The process of gene expression and regulation in cells
- The effects of different types of fertilizers on animal health
- The role of DNA in the development of personality traits
- The impact of pollution on water quality
- The effects of different types of viruses on plant health
- The process of human nerve cell communication and function
- The role of genetics in the development of addiction
- The effects of different types of exercise on sleep quality
- The role of hormones in the regulation of sleep
Best biology capstone project ideas
- The process of DNA methylation and its role in gene expression
- The effects of different types of herbicides on animal health
- The impact of pollution on the quality of indoor air
- The effects of different types of bacteria on water quality
- The process of human blood cell production and function
- The impact of climate change on plant ecology
- The role of genetics in the development of eating disorders
- The effects of different types of exercise on stress levels
- The role of hormones in the regulation of stress
- The process of RNA splicing and its role in gene expression
- The effects of different types of pesticides on water quality
- The role of DNA in the development of behavioral traits
- The impact of pollution on the quality of outdoor air
- The effects of different types of viruses on animal health
- The process of human brain development and function
- The impact of climate change on animal ecology
- The role of genetics in the development of anxiety disorders
- The effects of different types of exercise on memory function
- The role of hormones in the regulation of memory function
- The process of DNA repair and its role in maintaining genetic integrity
Need Help with Biology capstone project Writing
If you are having difficulty choosing a topic or writing your biology capstone project, you may want to consider hiring our professional writers to help you. Our writers have experience in research and writing and can provide valuable insights and guidance throughout the process of writing your research paper or capstone project.
Regardless of your chosen topic, it is important to remember that your biology capstone project should be engaging, informative, and well-researched. Following these guidelines can create a successful and impactful project that will impress your professors and peers.
When choosing a topic for your biology capstone project, it is important to consider each topic’s pros and cons. Some topics may be more interesting to you but may be more difficult to research or may not have as much available information. On the other hand, some topics may be easier to research but may not be as interesting or engaging. It is also important to consider whether you have the necessary resources and expertise to complete the project successfully.
Joseph is an Essay Writing guru. He helps students create essays that will strike a chord with the readers.
People also read
- Top 100 IT Capstone Project Ideas
- Top 100 MBA Capstone Project Ideas
- Top 100 Education Capstone Project Ideas
- Top 100 Capstone Project Ideas
- Top 100 Psychology Capstone Project Ideas
Most Popular Articles
Racism thesis statement example, how to rephrase a thesis statement, capstone project topic suggestions, how to write an abortion essay, should students wear school uniforms essay, list causal essay topics write, respect essay, signal words, great synonyms, informative speech examples, essay writing guide, introduction paragraph for an essay, argumentative essay writing, essay outline templates, write an autobiographical essay, personal narrative essay ideas, descriptive essay writing, how to write a reflective-essay, how to write a lab report abstract, how to write a grant proposal, point of view in an essay, debate topics for youth at church, theatre research paper topics, privacy overview.
Biology Capstone Project Ideas for Students
CapstoneWriting / Biology Capstone Project
Biology is quite a complicated discipline. You need to have proper knowledge of the discipline itself to perform well-related papers. In the case of the Capstone biology paper, the task becomes even more complicated. This particular research paper has a set of strict requirements. Mostly, writers must conduct proper research work. In other cases, there will be no way to provide the needed findings and recommendations. You must have impressive skills and writing abilities to accomplish the assignment. The Capstone project is a full investigation of the topic. The writers who perform familiar tasks must come up with appealing ideas and topics. The biology capstone project ideas should always be unique. It brings a strong need to perform original content. The paper must be of a high-quality. If you tend to achieve your educational goals, the project accomplishment methods must be highly-effective. Since it allows providing great results eventually. Every successful project is always based on highly interesting ideas and proper topics. You can deal with numerous topics for your paper if you have proper knowledge and talents. In any case, a proper amount of time must be paid to ensure a great project’s subject. With a strong subject, you can perform decent content. The Capstone project in biology is always a complex piece. It covers one of the important biology-related topics. The familiar project is always based on deep research of ideas and concepts in biology. Therefore, a decent knowledge of the discipline is obligatory.
Capstone Biology: Help with Your Task
Once paying attention to the project you perform, pay your attention to a topic’s selection. The biology capstone paper is a complex research piece. It has detailed requirements and writing guidelines. Consequently, a properly written paper is always based on striking ideas. You firstly need to follow the requirements of the assigned paper. Check your skills and writing style before starting your work. It can influence the quality of the content prepared. The Capstone paper must be written in official and simple language. Since this paper is performed about certain issues in the biology sphere, the proper structure and format matter. This particular project is the best chance for writers to reveal decent knowledge and skills. You can show the exact set of abilities gained during a study course. It makes the writing process more problematic for scholars. Especially for those who lack proper knowledge of biology subjects. Such types of paper always require a good awareness of the analyzed topics. They also bring a need for throughout research work and meticulousness.
Biology Capstone Projects Top Features
The properly researched and written biology capstone projects are characterized by the following top features:
- Importance of a topic for an audience
Writers need to select the topic which discovered to be highly appreciated by an audience and other researchers.
- Properly defined analyzed issue
The Capstone project is a research paper. It always remains a written piece with a properly examined topic.
- Well-researched main issue
You need to research the main issue using advanced research methods and tools. It is beneficial to use the latest analytical tools if possible.
- Original content and findings
Every completed paper must be original. Thus, all the ideas presented in the final piece must be strictly unique.
A strong Capstone project is always based on important issues of discovery. Therefore, every writer needs to research numerous ideas to be further revealed in the written piece. It makes the entire writing process and results from delivery really important. If you care about the quality of the provided paper, you should pay attention to the proper format of the written piece. Besides, every idea must be well-researched to provide strong findings.
Biology Capstone Projects: Tips and Guides
Once coming up with biology capstone ideas, you need to prepare a well-researched piece. It means you need to conduct proper research. It takes lots of analytical and research abilities that students often lack. In such a case, it is better to reach expert online assistance. You can search for proper ideas on the Internet. Still, to find appealing ideas, one must have a good knowledge of biology. Therefore, professional writers have more chances to prepare strong content. Often, only experts with decent knowledge on the topic perform papers that follow all the requirements. Every university brings its own set of requirements for a familiar paper. The Marshall university biology capstone paper is always to be written according to the provided guidelines. Often, students get topics assigned to analyze. They need to be well-prepared, providing decent ideas and research results. The capstone project is the exact paper you cannot avoid. This is the final assignment for students who graduate. This task reveals students’ knowledge, intellectual abilities, and writing skills. When you deal with biology capstone project ideas in high school, they have fewer requirements. In college or university, these papers have stricter demands. It is doubtful you can avoid following the writing guides provided by your tutor or college professor. Therefore, the writing process can become problematic. If you face any trouble with your complex assignments, you can always reach our advanced service to order your original paper.
Senior Capstone Project Ideas Biology
You can prepare your original capstone project ideas biology. It will require time requested for small research. You can also look through the following ideas for your project to use once preparing to decide on your paper’s topic:
- The negative effect of acid rain on the agricultural sphere in the USA;
- The main concepts of DNA reproduction in biology;
- The bipolar disorder: modern, effective treatments;
- The genetic causes of homosexuality;
- The effect of alcohol on the human body;
- The decline of the otter population throughout the world;
- The most devastating biological threats used by modern terrorists;
- The human cloning: ethical norms and effects on people’s morals;
- The modern ways of genetic diseases treatment;
- The scientific and biological causes of modern pandemics.
You need to be very attentive once selecting your top issue for research. You can check through the mentioned senior capstone project ideas biology to come up with your own paper’s subject. It will be beneficial to choose the ideas that lots of people tend to investigate — the expected importance of your topic for other people matters. Thus, you need to be aware of what exact subject your audience wants to see properly revealed. Otherwise, you need expert online assistance. With expert helpers, you will forget about every aspect of the capstone project accomplishment. Professional writers and researchers will complete the entire paper for you. We always deliver original papers written strictly according to the assigned requirements. We deliver our works timely to satisfy our clients’ demands and expectations.
Everything begins with an idea!
Biology Capstone Project Ideas
Completing your college or university course or program is all about how timely and properly you complete all your biology capstone project. If you are the lazy kind that never takes school projects seriously and you’re always late in project completion and submission, you’ll be surprised when you’re forced to redo your program or repeat some of the units.
Whether you’ll graduate or not is dependent on how timely and accurately you complete your capstone project. If you’re taking a course related to biology, your graduation will depend on how timely and efficiently you complete your biology capstone project. Capstone projects require you to address real-life issues using relevant skills or knowledge.
Addressing the wrong biology capstone project idea can delay your graduation or even ruin your career. You’ve to be careful when writing a biology capstone project. The most crucial step to writing a good biology capstone project is to be idealist and intelligent in choosing a topic. It’s smart you first research and understands the biology capstone project you are working on. That way, it will be easy to write a project that will be accepted and approved by the professor.
- The biological effects of siring a child with a first cousin
- How is pollination affected by the flower color?
- The reasons rodents are the primary virus and disease spreading agents
- The lessons we can learn from the evolution of fleas and flies
- The contributing factors behind the low otter populace
- The effect of extended alcohol abuse on humans
- The factors behind the frogs’ ability to jump quite high
- Does genetics play any role in homosexuality?
- How acid rain affects the environment and plant growth?
- The biological implication of being a Bipolar
- Why is the gestation period in humans different from that of other animals?
- How do El Nino rains affect agriculture?
- A quick analysis of the 3D Electron Microscopic tomographic reconstruction
- The volumetric datasets development process in details
- Understanding the human anatomical variation
- A quick analysis of the customizable anatomical science education
- The relationship between grow anatomy lab and ultrasound
- Analysis of plant spacing and the effects of sizing when planting
- What are the similarities between thrombotic mutation and thombotic events?
- The effect of abortion on the life and the chances of a woman getting pregnant in the future
- Some ignored and rarely known causes of cancer
- Understanding nanotechnology as well its pros and cons
- What may lead to the most common types of phobias?
- How organotins and obesity relate?
- Determining the right choice of hemoglobin depending on oxygen carriers and the transfusion protocol
- How could vaccines lead to infant autism?
- How obesity and genetics relate?
- A quick look at different phobias and the best ways to treat them
- How and why different human anatomical differ?
- The most common genes susceptible to obesity
- The most common genes susceptible to homosexuality behaviors
- A quick look on meningitis and the contributing factors
- Is Ebola a biological weapon?
Have top experts do your papers.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
BuyCapstone » Biology Capstone Project
Gorgeous Biology Capstone Project Ideas With Writing Tips
Want your voice to count in? Send us your review with all the details.
What is Biology Capstone Project Essence
Making your research comprehensive and clarifying the most viable aspects of the investigated topic are the first points for consideration. Choosing credible sources is essential for that. Make sure you preselect exclusively relevant and reliable sources of info. What goes next?
Forming a comprehensive understanding and developing valuable findings are essential elements too. This proves your knowledge on the subject investigated. Creating a scheme of ideas for showing the relations between such and forming the final conclusion on the matter is the essential point for creating a well-made paper.
The essence is about exploring the core aspects of the investigated topic, its main features and developing your own findings based on such. What about its complexity? Selecting appropriate methodology and ensuring high standards of research are major complicated things. Our next section of information is dedicated exactly to telling about such aspects.
Biology Capstone Project Guide for Effective Paper-making
What are the most viable biology capstone project ideas? There are lots of such, and the most important tips will come in a couple of next lines.
Essential Preparatory Tips
As we have already stated, the most important thing about creating this paper is researching it well. Think about sources, including Internet-available, and what you can use for research. We suggest you emphasize books, articles, and other materials from reputable organizations or experts that explore an issue you are going to investigate too.
What is the aspect that facilitates researching and analysis? That is selecting a topic that engages you. That may be problematic if you don’t like biology. But, there are sure points that raise interest. Shortlist those – usually, they come to your mind first.
Another important aspect is following requirements for such research, analytical, and writing work. Demands are frequently very severe, and we suggest you shortlisting all of them on a separate paper. That is very helpful and prevents from missing certain valuable things to consider.
So, we have chosen interesting topics, reliable sources of data and shortlisted all applicable requirements. What will go next? That will be effective biology capstone project writing, of course.
Entrust your paper to our reliable, inspired and skilled writers to get high-quality biology capstone project!
Basics for Successful Writing
What do you think is the most important part of ensuring effective paper-making? That is brainstorming and structuring ideas you have for your future paper. Let’s say you have already reviewed all selected sources of information and have formed your conclusions on the investigated subject. Shortlist all ideas for your future paper.
Let some time pass and return to your developed ideas. Form the main point on the investigated matter and also indicate supporting statements you intend to cover further.
Structure all your statements in the following manner:
- Introduction where you state your main opinion on the investigation subject, briefly describe its importance. Also, you may add some engaging details on the subject.
- The main part is devoted to exposing all supporting statements for the principal idea. Indicate each statement, the explanation for it, and suggest examples where this is possible.
- The conclusion will summarize all research and analytical work. Restating all indicated points is required here. Adding final interesting facts that align with the main opinion may also be workable to emphasize the importance of research and findings once again.
Making a couple of drafts is the best-suggested strategy for making this paper if you are not professional yet. PRO editing tools may assist you dramatically with effective paper-making. Spend as much time as you may afford to ensure the well-developed paper in the end.
Senior Capstone Project Ideas in Biology
What about exploring interesting senior capstone project ideas in biology you may take ready or modify as you wish? The most interesting samples have been preselected:
- Consequences of acid rains for agricultural spheres
- Ethical and technical issues of human cloning
- Consequences of decreasing of otter populations for ecosystem throughout the world
- Pandemic causes, consequences, and ways to prevent them
- The most horrible biological threats for modern ecosystems
- The impact of alcohol on the human body
- The impact of drugs on the human body
- Reproduction and DNA aspects
- Role of hormones on human behavior
- Consequences of depression
- Causes and consequences of obesity
- Ethical aspects of animal-related testing
- Conditions for successful vaccination
- Impact of environmental conditions on the behavior of animals
- How does the human brain cure itself?
- Profession of a biologist
- Molecular biology basics
Are these biology capstone project ideas good but not helpful to you because you have no time for that paper-making? Buy capstone project and get your personalized help easily!
University: Ontario University
Specialist in: Social sciences
Writing Experience: 6 years
Completed Orders: 278
Success Rate: 99%
University: San Diego University
Specialist in: Engineering
Writing Experience: 4 years
Completed Orders: 253
Success Rate: 98%
University: Toronto University
Specialist in: Nursing
Writing Experience: 5 years
Completed Orders: 195
University: Cambridge University
Specialist in: Economy
Completed Orders: 228
University: Manchester University
Specialist in: Marketing
Completed Orders: 381
Success Rate: 100%
University: Yale University
Specialist in: Business
Writing Experience: 3 years
Completed Orders: 178
Make sure there's no plagiarism in your paper
Write your essays better and faster with free samples
Generate citations for your paper free of charge
170+ Fascinating Biology Research Topics for Students in 2023
Updated 31 Jan 2023
Finding a great topic for a study can be challenging. Interesting biology topics need to be appealing, attention-grabbing and academically relevant. They need to deal with the recent findings and debatable questions. A great topic is a base of a scientific argument that has a valuable idea for the science. It also should provoke further discussion and lead to further coming studies.
College students have a hard time choosing the fascinating subject for their paper. That’s why these 130 biology research paper topics can give you inspiration. You can pick one for your research or use them as the base for building your own idea.
Read also: How to Write an Introduction to a Research Paper
A List of Researchable Topics for Biology
A list of researchable topics for biology students starts with several interesting biological topics concerning sociological perspective and ethical issues. The most debatable subjects are abortion, human cloning, genetic researches and the new ethics that should be created to resolve these issues.
What are some good biology research topics?
One could also find good research topics related to traditional biology subfields like plant and animal biology, ecology (current global problems warrant a number of hot topics), or topics related to humans: neurobiology (and determinants of human behavior), recent discoveries on diseases and the immune system, etc.
What are the major biological issues today?
They include pollution challenges, overpopulation, an increase in infectious diseases, and the lack of transparency in DNA and synthetic biology studies. We also have biological issues like global warming, endangered species, stem cell research, and the acidification of the ocean.
Read also: How can I find a trusted service to write my research paper ?
Biology Research Topics for College Students
When you choose a competitive Biology subject, you must focus on ideas that inspire you and talk about morphology, physiology, cell studies, origins, distribution, and innovations related to living organisms. You can also talk about the plants, the animals, or even famous personalities in the field.
- The Use of The Advanced X-Ray for The Scanning of The Plants
- The Pros and Cons of The Cryo-EM Pattern in Virology
- The Use of 3D Models for The Microscopic Examination of Living Cells
- The Heritage of Jose Rizal and The Experiments Related to The Garden in Dapitan
- Heredity and Genetics Through The Lens of Autism: The Theories
- Genetic Engineering and The Modern Survival of Life Mechanisms
- How Can The Energy Be Transformed Into Living Things
- Immune System of The Dolphins Compared to The Whales
- Primary Productivity in a Limited Ecosystem: The Role of The Social Community
- The Production of Hormones Without an Endocrine System: The Metabolism of The Plants
Essay Examples Relevant to Biology
- Immune System
Abortion, Human cloning, Genetic Researches Biology Topics
- Presentation on Abortion Law & Society’s Perspective in the USA
- How Abortion is Related to the Feminist Ideology
- The Biological Insights of Abortion
- Human Cloning & Transplantation Possibilities
- Project on Different Types of Cloning
- DNA Structure, Genetic Disorders, and Modern Technology
- History and Development of Human Cloning Science
- Cloning: The Moral Aspect
- How Cloning Can Change Medicine
- What We Actually Know About DNA-modified Organisms
- Genetic Grounds for Obesity
- Is Homosexuality Genetically Based?
- How Addictive Substances Affect Our Genes
- Depression & Genes
- Are Genetically Modified Foods Safe?
- Should Human Cloning Be Legal?
- The Advantages of Transgenic Crops
- Factors Contributing to Genetic Mutations
- Organ Transplantation: Is Donor’s Consent Needed?
- Ethics Behind Transplantation
- How Public Opinion Holds Back the Scientific Progress
Essay Examples Relevant to Abortion, Human cloning, Genetic Researches
- Organ Transplant
DNA Research Topics
- The Pros and Cons of Family Genetic Testing: Mental Implications and The Abuse of Data
- Structured Controversy of DNA Alterations: What Ethical Principles Must be Followed
- Should DNA Alternation be Made Available when no Genetic Diseases are Involved?
- Inhibitors of Bacterial DNA and Resistance Mechanisms
- Bio-nano Technologies and The Covid-19 Pandemic: What Have We Learned
- Should DNA Research be Conducted on Animals and Plants: The Dangers Ahead
- Various Genetic Diseases and The Use of DNA Sequencing
- The Pros and Cons of The Protein-coding Approach to Regulatory Regions
- An Ethical Side of Selective Breeding and Damage to Reproductive Technologies
- Embryo Screening and Cloning: The Bioethical Aspect of Research
- DNA Modifications in Humans
- Can DNA Change Beat Aging?
Essay Examples Relevant to DNA
- Genetic Modification
Need more writing assistance?
Connect with our top writers and receive a paper sample on biology crafted to your needs.
Behaviour and Hormones Biology Research Topics
Another huge part of biology research essay topics deals with the question of behavior and hormones. Students can share ideas on how our hormones influence mood and well-being. They can also be related to some disorders.
- Report on the Significance of Certain Hormones Concerning the Body Functioning
- Cell Structure & Antibiotic Resistance
- Hormones Influence on Mind and Behavior
- How Hormones Contribute to Depression
- Hormonal Changes During Pregnancy
- Psychological Disorders: The Biological Basis
- Biology Behind the Bipolar Disorder
- Cortisol and Testosterone Influence Risk-Taking
- Current Oxytocin Science
- Oxytocin and Fear Reaction
- Endocrine-Related Diseases
- How Hormones Affect Human Behavior
- Hormonal Control of Reproductive System
- Influence of Hormonal Therapy
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Hormone-Specific Psychopathic Disorders
- Melatonin in Therapy
- Steroid Hormones’ Path to Cells
- Cardio Exercise Influence Hormones
- Oxytocin in Treatment Psychopathic Disorders
- How Hormones Influence Women’s Mental Health
- Gender Specifics Related to Mental Health
Read also: 100 The Most Impressive Social Issues Topics for Essay or Paper
Immune System Biology Research Topics
Biology topics to write about cannot be full without at least several ones dealing with the immune system. It is our main defense against different diseases, that’s why it is important to know more about it.
- Human Immune System and Its Resistance Capabilities
- How Do Immune System Agents Function?
- Discovering Diseases Caused by Immune System not Functioning Good
- Immunity & Stress
- Tolerance & Autoimmunity
- Asthma & Allergic Reactions
- Immunotherapy Influence on Human Body
- Immunology & Transplantation
- Graft Rejection Prevention
- Vaccination: Are There Any Real Benefits?
- The Society’s Perspective on Vaccination
Essay Examples Relevant to Immune System
Cell Biology Research Topics
It is a complex branch of biology that studies the smallest units and the living organisms. The focus is on the parts of the cell and the interaction of the cytoplasm and the membrane as the topic ideas below show:
- The Pros And Cons Of The Cytoskeleton System Through The Lens Of Cell Motility.
- Analysis Of Cell Division And The AI-based Methods Of Cell Cycle Control.
- The Role Of Chromatin In The Alterations Of Gene Expression.
- What Causes Cellular Metabolism In Marine Mammals.
- The Use Of Hormone Action Therapy In College Athletics.
- The Most Common Cell Infections And The Immunity Challenges.
- The Alteration Of Ribosomes And The Cell Membrane Functioning.
- The Heritage Of Robert Brown And The Nucleus.
- The Importance Of The Cork Tree Cell For Cell Biology.
- Analysis Of Multicellular Organisms And The Use Of Molecular Analysis Tools.
Essay Examples Relevant to Cell Biology
- Cell Membrane
Molecular Biology Research Topics
The branch of Molecular Biology focuses on the analysis of composition, structure, and complex interactions related to processes taking place in the cells. Unlike basic microbiology, it studies biological processes like alteration, recreation, and maintenance.
- The Use Of Comparative Genomics Of The Human Being And The Mice.
- The Restrictions Of The DNA And Peculiarities Of The Modern Nucleic Acid Analysis.
- An Ethical Aspect Of Molecular Genetics.
- The Most Efficient Methods Of RNA Translation Into Proteins.
- What Is The Current State Of The DNA Replication And The Amplification Methods.
- The Limitations Of The Microarray Data Analysis.
- Is It Possible To Repair The Damage Done To The Human DNA?
- The Pros And Cons Of The Aseptic Technique: Transfection Methods.
- Purification Of The DNA: How Does Protein Purification Change Over Time?
- What Are The Objectives Of The Nucleic Acid Hybridization During The Gene Cloning Process?
Save your time with free essay samples on Eugenics
Plant pathology biology research topics.
Here are several interesting biology research topics concerning plant pathology:
- Natural Disease Resistance in Plants
- The Prevention Measures in Plant Pathology
- Research on Plant-Associated Microbes and Current Genomic Tools
- Literature Review on Microbial Ecology and Evolution
- Plant Diseases Management Facilitated by Modern Technology
- Plant Evolutionary Genetics
- Weedy & Invasive Plants
- Photosynthesis: Aspects & Functions
- Fertilizers’ Influence on Plants
Save your time with free essay samples on Photosynthesis
Ecology-concerning subjects biology research topics.
Undergraduates can do a proposal on Ecology-concerning subjects. First, it is one of the most relevant scientific fields as we deal with the results of human behavior all the time. Any new cool paper can shed some light of new ideas that will contribute to making the world a better place.
- Ecological and Evolutionary Factors Influencing Animal Behavior
- Essay on Relationship Between Living Forms and Their Environment
- The Affect of Human Behavior on Animal Forms in the USA
- The Ways Animal and Plants Respond to Changing Environment
- Developmental Mechanism of Resistance in Animals
- The Environmental Change and its Involvement in the Diversity of Species
- Is Global Warming Really a Threat?
- Fast Food Industry & Tropic Forests Extinction
- Environmental Psychology
- Means of Wildlife Protection
- Impact of Rain Forests Extinction
- Rare Species Protection
- The Problem of Extinction
- Renewable Energy and Environment’s Pollution
- Climate Change and Biodiversity
- Types of Pollution in Modern World
- What is Sustainability in Biology?
- Non-human factors of Extinction of Species
- Benefits of Ecotourism
- Is Extinction of Bees Real?
- Oil Spill Effects on Ocean Wildlife
- Factors and benefits of Organic Farming
Neurobiology Research Topics
- Visual Cortex & Models of Orientation
- Neuroscience in Robotic Technologies
- What is Visual-Motor Coordination Based On?
- Impact of Music on Human Brain
- Brain Injuries and Related Disorders
- Brain and Memory
- Brain Capabilities of Self-Repairing
- Genetic Defect That Contributes to Schizophrenia
- Factors and Causes Behind a Migraine
- Connection Between Gut Bacteria and Anxiety
- Can Gut Bacteria Contribute to Depression?
- Cognitive Neuroscience on Problem-Solving
- Genes and Proteins Responsible for Neurons functioning
Essay Examples Relevant to Neurobiology
- Human Brain
- Memory Diseases
Evolutionary Biology Research Topics
As the title implies, evolutionary biology focuses on the processes that explore the history of life forms that we encounter. Starting with the study of the natural habitats to the analysis of the biodiversity and related behaviors, it's one of the most fascinating and varied branches of Biology.
- The Natural vs Forced Evolutionary Processes as Natural Selection Takes Place
- How Can We Increase Human Awareness about The Importance of Diversity of Life on Earth
- The Heritage of Charles Darwin and Why His Theories are Still Relevant Today
- The Evolutionary Biology Processes Through The Lens of The Invertebrates
- How Do Ecology and Evolution Affect The Presence of Infectious Diseases
- Human Learning Processes and The Use of AI-based Models to Predict Evolution
- The Theory of Gene Migration and The Philosophical Importance of Spiritual Freedom
- The Importance of Evidence for The Evolution Processes: Our Common Ancestors
- What Types of Changes are Considered an Evolution When a Gene Pool Is Involved?
- Individualism as The Form of The Forced Evolution: An Ethical Aspect
Save your time with free essay samples on Evolution
Animals biology research topics.
Here are fascinating biology research topics related to animals. They are quite popular among students. You can submit several papers dwelling on deep analysis of one phenomenon or species.
- Factors Concerning Animal Growth
- The Obesity in Home Pets
- Traditional Dog Diet and Modern Home Pets
- Male Pregnancy Among Animals
- Is Beauty Products Testing on Animals Ethical?
- Birds Behavioral Study
- Animal Science & Food Sustainability
- Does Veganism Actually Influence Meat Production?
- Wild Animal Projects
- Fashion Industry & Animal Abuse
- Camouflage Mechanism in Sea Animals
- Discovering Primate Language and Cognitive Function
Essay Examples Relevant to Animals
- Animal Testing
- Animal Abuse
Read also: Your personal lab report writing service - EduBirdie.com!
Marine Biology Research Topics
Marine biology relates to a mixture of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics as one studies marine organisms and their behavior patterns. As marine biologists study how they interact with the environment, they use oceanography and relevant skills based on Chemistry, Physics, and Geology.
- The Salish Sea Ecology and The Use of Corals for The Understanding of Tropical Peculiarities
- The Challenges Of Quantitative Ecology Through The Lens Of Modeling
- How Can Marine Animal Behavior Be Adapted To A Certain Genetical Pool?
- Geological Oceanography: What Are The Challenges Related To Physical Limitations?
- Comparison Of The Smallest Diatoms And Their Marine Logistics
- Tourism And The Changes To The Coral Reef Ecology In 2022
- Marine Engineering And The Use Of Flexible Aquaculture
- Development Of Alternative Feeds For The Dolphins And The Tracking Systems
- What Are The Pros And Cons Of The Coastal Zone Management Currently Used In The United States?
- Biochemistry Of The Red Sea Compared To The Sea Of Azov
Topics on the History of Biology
There also easy issues related to the history of Biology. You can dwell on the capstone of modern science or dwell on an understanding of one crucial academic term.
- The History of Genetics
- Darwin’s Theory and Biology
- Discovering Evolution Factors
- How Archeology Impacts Animal Biology?
- Natural Selection Theory: The Discovery and Its Impact
- Effects of Whale Hunting
- Dead Branches of Evolution
- Famous Biologist Antonie van Leeuwenhoek
- Edward Jenner and the History of Vaccination
- Rachel Carson’s Perspective on Environmental Safety
- Stephen Jay Gold’s Paleontology: How History and Biology are Combined
Essay Examples Relevant to History of Biology
- Charles Darwin
- Natural Selection
This list ends with several other fascinating research proposal topics , such as:
- Molecular and Genome Evolution
- Comparative Genomics
- The Evolutionary Biology of Infectious Diseases
- Modern Technology and Scientific Tools in Biology
- Neurobiological Explanation of Sleep
- Symbiosis in Parasites
- Metabolism & Physical Exercise
Save your time with free essay samples on Metabolism
What are some topics in science?
Some of the hottest topics in science nowadays are: the perspectives of genetic engineering of humans using CRISPRs, the importance of the human microbiome in preventing many diseases (including autoimmune diseases), solutions for multi-drug resistance in bacteria, immunotherapy in cancer research (especially with genetically engineered cells), etc.
Read also: If you are paying someone to write a research paper , let professionals write it for you.
How do you choose a research topic?
When choosing a research topic, you should be considering your interests, the interests of the readers/ audience, the impact of the topic, the current state of knowledge in the field, recent advances related to the topic (e.g. perspective-changing publications), etc.
Start to Write Well-Grounded Biology Research
These Biology research paper topics were compiled for anyone from high-school and undergraduate students to anyone who has to deal with Biology for any reason. It all depends on the size and depths of your project, that is why you may need a proper research papers help . The topics concern the most relevant and appealing part of biological science. Start working on your thesis with reading academic literature and don't forget to ask for thesis writing help at EduBirdie. A proper review of recent publications will help you build up an argument. Always remember that the key to any of your projects is having fun. So choose the topic that you are passionate about, and go for it!
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.
Written by David Kidwell
David is one of those experienced content creators from the United Kingdom who has a high interest in social issues, culture, and entrepreneurship. He always says that reading, blogging, and staying aware of what happens in the world is what makes a person responsible. He likes to learn and share what he knows by making things inspiring and creative enough even for those students who dislike reading.
Related Blog Posts
Top 200+ ideas for research paper topics 2023.
Table of contents College Research Paper Topics Health Research Paper Topics Education Research Paper Topics Environmental Research...
Chemistry Research Topics That Will Knock You Off Your Feet
Finding suitable chemistry research topics is not an easy task to accomplish, especially if one struggles with several topic ideas or looks at bord...
Receive regular updates, discounts, study guides and more
You have subscribed to EduBirdie news.
Thanks for subscribing!
Check your inbox to verify your email.
Find out if your paper is original. Our plagiarism detection tool will check...
Wonder how much time you need to deliver your speech or presentation?
Don't know how to format the bibliography page in your paper?
Use this converter to calculate how many pages a certain number...
Want to know how well you've performed this semester?
Create a strong thesis statement with our online tool to clearly express...
How to Write a Capstone Project in Biology: Full Guide
When it comes to writing a capstone project in biology, good writing skills really matter because they promote professional success in various areas, from boosting your college progress to obtaining grants for future research.
Strong writing demonstrates the basic skills that are usually expected of an experienced and knowledgeable biologist: attention to the minor details, organization, critical thinking and analysis, and evidence-based decision-making.
We have observed that professional biologists spend approximately one-third of their time being engaged in different forms of writing. It is important to mention that both the study and practice of writing in biology plays an equally important part in one’s education as the gaining of scientific knowledge.
Writing a capstone project in biology doesn’t need to be boring. This project can be presented in the form of a case study, research paper, survey, and so on. By assigning a capstone project in biology, your professor provides you with an opportunity to demonstrate the level of knowledge you have acquired throughout the course. A capstone project in biology includes proposing and solving a particular research issue in your field of study. The most convincing capstone project in biology comes as a high-quality writing and compelling story that involves the intended message to the target audience.
Since a capstone project in biology usually affects your final program grade, it is critical that you make an effort to engage your readers and justify the time and implication of the project presented. In other words, if you present a poor quality capstone project, then your professor will think your biology knowledge is poor as well.
Choose an Interesting Topic
The thing is that if the topic that you choose for the biology capstone project is interesting to you, you are not going to struggle that hard with a lack of inspiration and motivation when it’s time to write. Make sure to give preference to the field of study that is manageable. Besides, consider an option to select a capstone project in biology that is directly related to your own life experience.
Don’t choose the topics that are too broad or too narrow. In the case of the topic that is too general, you’ll find it hard to cover all of the aspects in one project. As for the narrow one, chances are you may fail to find a sufficient number of sources to use in the process of work. In other words, your task here is to pick something in between that will enable you to produce a suitable thesis statement.
Try a quicker way
Below you will find winning capstone project topics that come from different biology categories:
- Is Homosexuality Genetically Based?
- The Scientific Perspective on Hypnosis: Is It Real?
- How Hormones Contribute to Depression;
- Organic Farming: Factors and Benefits;
- The Obesity in Home Pets;
- Is It Ethical to Test Beauty Products on Animals;
- The Real Benefits of Vaccination;
- Ecological Factors that Influence Animal Behavior;
- The Impact of Natural Selection Theory;
- Self-repairing Capabilities of a Human Brain.
Research Your Topic
To write a good capstone project in biology, you have to research the chosen topic by checking various science sources, taking notes, brainstorming potential ideas and saving quotes. In-depth research will help you decide on which areas you have to focus on and research. At this stage, you have to start visualizing how exactly your capstone project will look like. Keep in mind the research limitations as well and figure out how to deal with them.
We’ve collected some of the biology resources that will help capstone project writers to get through the dozens of information. A lot of these great websites provide step-by-step tutorials and guides.
- Biology Glossary includes definitions for over a thousand terms that a lot of biology fields involve.
- ActionBioScience is an educational, non-commercial site that hosts loads of articles written by biology experts to promote discipline literacy. Topics related to biodiversity, biotech, evolution, genomics and more are available on the source.
- Microbe Zoo is an entertaining website for college students engaged in biology courses.
- Strange Science shows a great variety of the weirdest ideas and mistakes that biology scientists have ever made. If you’re looking for background information related to the biology topic, this site is a useful resource.
In the case of the capstone project in biology, it is recommended to begin your writing from creating a list of all the college papers that you wrote in biology. Also, make sure to include all the tests and exams that you took. Give a description of each project that you have ever presented.
Write a Thesis Statement
Begin your biology capstone project by producing a concise, strong and clear thesis statement. Consider every single word that you include in your thesis statement because it will serve as a foundation for the whole project. Before you write a capstone project thesis statement, ensure that you have abundant arguments, evidence, and facts needed to support your claims. Actually, this is why it is important to begin your work as early as you can.
Parts of the Paper
As you set your mind on working on your draft, think about planning a strong outline. When you prepare an outline, you have to keep in mind the key segments of a capstone project in biology, and how you have to organize them.
We should mention here that there are two main kinds of a biology capstone project – the initial senior project and the final. While the first paper includes the project proposal, the final capstone project comprises the whole project work.
In order to create the initial part of the project, you have to provide the following segments: the title page, the abstract, the tables of contents, the introduction, the problem description, the literature review, the project description, the conclusions, the references, and the appendices.
This part is the basic piece in every academic paper. However, it is an important one. In the case of the biology capstone project, you have to state your research problem (for instance, “in cloning, the genetic effects are in most cases fatal at the very start of life”), your approach, as well as share your ideas on the chosen topic.
In this part of your capstone paper, you are required to briefly describe the prior researches and information that is available on your topic. For that reason, make sure to not only mention the previous researches conducted in biology, but also compare them and analyze each. For instance, if you work on the topic “Types and Causes of Genetic Mutations”, the previous researches conducted in the area might include the following:
- Research ‘High-Throughput Oncogene Mutation Profiling in Human Cancer’ conducted by Alissa Baker and Roman Thomas.
- Research ‘Transcriptomic buffering of cryptic genetic variation contributes to meningococcal virulence’ done by the experts at the University of Würzburg.
- Research ‘Genetic predisposition to mosaic Y chromosome loss in blood’ by Deborah J. Thompson and Giulio Genovese.
- Research ‘Change of Human Chromosome Count Distributions with Age: Evidence for a Sex Difference’ conducted by Patricia A. Jacobs, Muriel Brunton, W. M. Court Brown, Richard Doll & Harvey Goldstein.
In this section, the author is required to describe the entire research that you’ve performed. The sources where you searched for data, the methods that helped you to collect various data, reliability issues and so on should be included here as well. In other words, you have to explain the entire information about your capstone paper topic and all the methods that were applied for the research.
The Results part contains a description and synthesis of information that you have managed to bring together during your research. Basically, you have to give an answer to every question that you set at the beginning of the paper.
The way you begin and end your capstone project determines the success of your work. In a biology capstone paper, you have to provide a reasonable and logical conclusion that is interestingly wrapped up. Your analysis and its success, recommendations for future research and the scientific limitations that you faced will together make your conclusion hooking and memorable.
Be ready to include more sections into your capstone project in biology. Usually, your professor is the one to decide how many sections you have to include in your paper.
Other sections might be the figures, the references, the table of contents, surveys, case studies, and so on. To produce a winning project, make sure to check your professor’s instructions. Thus, you’ll get an idea of how much time you will need to do your research and to write the paper from A to Z.
Final Tips on the Mistakes to Avoid
When it comes to the sciences like biology, it is important that you pay attention to the correctness of Latin names.
- In ecology, you have to mention the genus and species of the organisms underlined and in italics. Capitalize genus (species is never capitalized). For example: Pomacea catamarcensis.
- In molecular biology, the formatting rules used to discuss the genes and their products vary from species to species.
- It is recommended to check the websites that include information about proper formatting of information on some species. For example, www.flybase.org and The National Center for Biotechnology Information , to name a few.
Active/Passive Voice & Tense
As a rule, you will have to use active voice and past tense when writing a capstone project in biology. While active voice specifies that the subject performed a certain action, the past tense means that the action has already taken place. What is more, you have to take into account person: “I” (1st) versus The organisms (3rd) and practically never “you” (2nd) and verb/subject agreement.
- We theorize (present, 1st person, active, pl.);
- We checked (past, 1st person, active, past);
- The issue was put to the test (past, 3rd person, passive, singular).
Present Your Data Appropriately
In capstone projects in biology, data is presented in different forms such as pictures, tables, graphs, schematics, and so on. The way you present your data may be changed later to add some clarity to your work; however, it should never alter the data authenticity or misrepresent the results.
It doesn’t matter which form you choose, make sure to provide proper descriptions and labeling to the data presentation. This will provide the work context. Any presentation of data in your capstone project should include adequate labeling and sufficient description. Thus, they will be able to stand alone outside your capstone paper. As for the numerical analysis, you have to give averages together with the measure of variation instead of providing individual raw data.
Writing in Different Biology Sub-Disciplines
What differences usually occur when you’re writing a capstone project in different sub-fields of biology? The level of creativity used in the process of writing varies between different biology sub-disciplines. More often than not, professional biologists usually give preference to the conventional use of technical capstone paper titles. As for the voice, ecology scientists prefer writing in the active voice, while cell biologists write with an emphasis on passive voice. At the same time, molecular biologists write in the passive voice, but they tend to use the active voice when they need to emphasis some important issues. You can keep in mind these rules by understanding that biologists study objects that are being acted upon, while ecologists deal with organisms that act.
- Writing Help
- Writing Guide
- Capstone project
© 2008 - 2023 Writera Limited. All Rights Reserved.
- Writing help
- Essay writing service
- Free writing tools
- Essay writing app
- Essay writing book
- Student blog
The Admissions Strategist
Capstone projects for high school students: the ultimate guide.
A capstone project, otherwise known as a culminating project or a senior thesis, is a long-term, substantial assignment that you undertake in your final year of high school. If you are passionate about a particular subject a capstone project is the perfect way to demonstrate that passion to colleges, future employers, and your local community.
Traditionally, a “capstone” is the final piece of brickwork or stone laid atop a building to complete it. It is the culminating step in a considerable process. For students, a capstone project is similar. It is a crowning achievement to tie together what you have learned in high school . Ideally, your capstone should relate to your academic accomplishments and demonstrate to colleges your mastery of the subject.
Click above to watch a video on Capstone Projects.
Why are capstone projects important for high school students?
Capstone projects provide numerous benefits to students. Most obviously, they provide dedicated students with the opportunity to demonstrate their academic rigor and mastery of certain subjects. This is extremely useful in the context of college applications. However, there are several other important benefits that you can derive from this experience.
- You may find that the simple process of designing your own project and carrying it to completion will engender self-belief and the confidence that you can undertake even greater projects.
- A capstone project pushes you to hone your skills in public speaking, critical thinking, teamwork and leadership, research and collaboration, planning and organization, and many more.
- You may be unsure of exactly what you want to focus on in college and beyond.
- A capstone project gives you the chance to experiment with something that has always captured your academic attention.
- If you are passionate about a hobby or discipline, a capstone project allows you to test whether you want to pursue this passion at a higher level.
- This project will help solidify your goals and the focus of your academic future.
- One of the most significant aspects of a capstone project is the relationship that develops between mentor and student.
- Many projects will require supervision or consultation with experts – often your teachers or members of your community. These relationships can provide innumerable benefits both in the long and short term. Tapping into the network of people around you, and showing respect and interest in their expertise will take you a long way. Most professionals love nothing more than discussing their passions with excited young people.
- It never hurts to get more experts advocating for you and more community figures in your corner!
- Less seriously, senior year can often be a wasted year. You might find that – having already completed your standardized tests, applied to college, and completed most of your important courses – you no longer are engaged with school or required to complete much work. This is often seen as an opportunity for seniors to unwind, but there are dangers associated with this.
- Not least of which is the danger of losing academic momentum and developing poor habits. By undertaking a capstone project throughout senior year, you will be further engaged with schooling and less likely to suffer from the shock of returning to normalcy in freshman fall at college.
How can a capstone project help you for college admissions?
College admissions is an extremely competitive and increasingly demanding process. As college applications become more and more comprehensive, students and parents have begun to see capstone projects as a way to gain an advantage. Many students are of the mistaken belief that colleges are primarily looking for well-rounded students.
Most high schoolers who are serious about college are encouraged to pursue interests even outside of their passions – you might have been told “you should play a sport, and an instrument, and be in the debate club, and volunteer locally, and travel!”
Apart from being stressful, and unattainable for the majority of young people, this is generally poor advice. Instead, it is better to have a handful of interests or passions that you can demonstrate a prolonged period of dedication to. This is where a capstone project fits in.
Briefly imagine you are an aspiring scientist, determined to study biology at university. When you are applying to college you want to demonstrate that this passion is a deep one, and that it is a priority for you.
In that context, it makes much more sense to apply your time towards a study of local environmental degradation than towards an unrelated sport, club, or volunteer activity.
Additionally, colleges are becoming increasingly savvy about the affectations of prospective students. Showing a genuine, long-term interest in a particular academic discipline has reemerged as one of the surest ways to gain attention from the leading colleges.
You may also find that your capstone experience was so noteworthy or illuminating that you are inspired to write your personal statements or supplemental essays about it. At the very least, you will find that your capstone project helps tie together your academic pursuits and provides you with a useful narrative structure for college applications and interviews.
How to brainstorm a capstone project
When sitting down to brainstorm a capstone project, it is important to remember that this is a personal process. It can be useful to study projects done by former students, to see what worked and what did not, and to encourage ideas of your own. But, ultimately, you want your capstone project to reflect your unique skills and interests.
Think about whatever you excel in academically. Or, perhaps, what you have always been passionate about but have long thought didn’t relate particularly to academics. Most importantly, consider what it is you want to focus your higher education and career on, and let that guide your decision.
There are limitless options for capstone projects. The only things to avoid are plagiarism and irrelevancy. Pick something that inspires you and that will provide you with a useful foundation to make the next step. If all else fails, ask people around you!
They may have a better idea of your strengths and weaknesses than you do. A simple conversation with a parent, friend, tutor, or teacher may lead you on a journey you never considered.
How to find a capstone project
Trying to find an original capstone project can be challenging. In recent years, undertaking a capstone has become quite common with American students. As such, you might find it tricky to come up with an idea that doesn’t seem overdone or, worse, like plagiarism.
However, there is only one you! The composite parts of your interests may be shared by many, but the sum of your interests is unique to you. This means that sometimes you might find your best idea is an interdisciplinary one.
Let us pretend you are a student who is interested in the environment, American history, and mapmaking. Now, if you were to try to come up with a capstone idea, you might begin by considering a study on the impact of environmental runoff in your local river or an investigation into the roots of different people living in your community.
You might then go online and see that such projects seem unoriginal or trite. Desperate and discouraged you might force yourself into one of these narrow approaches.
However, a better option would be to consider how to weave your many interests into one coherent capstone. For you, this could involve researching the construction and maintenance of wooded paths in your local forest or reservation going back to the precolonial era.
You might interview community leaders, study historical maps and texts, practice cartography, and ultimately enrich yourself in several areas at once. Needless to say, you would also produce a more authentic and unique capstone project.
Consider: You are multifaceted, and the interactions of those facets are what makes you unique!
How long should a capstone project last?
Broadly speaking, a capstone project is intended to last for the bulk of your senior year. The majority of capstone projects are proposed in the summer between junior and senior year, or early in the fall, and then completed in the spring or summer of senior year.
However, there is no absolute rule here and indeed many schools encourage students to begin working on their capstone projects as early as freshman year.
While there is no limit to how long you can work on your capstone project, there is a limit on how little. A capstone project by definition should be long-term and extensive. At a minimum, we are talking about several months.
The purpose is to demonstrate to colleges, your community, and yourself that you can undertake a project over a long period of time. This involves many skills that colleges prize, such as time management and planning, prioritization of tasks, determination, and diligence.
Remember that a good capstone project cannot be rushed. You will likely want to be working on it for at least the bulk of your senior year.
Connect us to your school's principal!
How to design your own capstone project in simple steps.
- Proposal – Your big idea! The details of the proposal you will be expected to put forward will be different from school to school, but there are some general guidelines. A proposal should be initiated by the student and put forward to a professor, teacher, or community leader. This proposal should contain an observation and a hypothesis; review of existing literature; a planned study or experiment; and possible problems with the proposal. If the proposal is approved by an expert, you are ready to proceed to the next steps.
- Anchor Experience – The main event! This is where you actually study something, observe, or conduct research. This may involve any number of things depending on your own project. This experience should usually involve a mentor and prolonged exposure to the subject at hand.
- Portfolio – Evidence and conclusions of your work! Throughout your capstone project you should maintain a portfolio of all related writing, work, and research. Your portfolio should include any experiments run, observations recorded, or conclusions reached. It is what you will show to colleges to prove your work and what you will be expected to present at the end of your project.
- Presentation – Defend your thesis or show it off! The final step of most capstone projects involves presenting your work to one or more experts in the field. Oftentimes, this just involves presenting your portfolio to the same teacher who approved your proposal and who has been acting as your mentor throughout. Sometimes, however, it may involve making a presentation before a large group of people and defending your thesis from questions and comments. The exact nature of your presentation will naturally differ depending on your choice of project.
How to pick the best capstone project
Your capstone project should relate to your intended major . If you plan to study chemistry, don’t do a capstone project on romance literature. If you plan to study American history, don’t do a capstone project on marketing in your community.
If you have not yet decided what to major in or what you want to focus your college education on, then it makes sense to use your capstone project to experiment with something – try on the hat and see how it fits.
Additionally, you want your capstone project to be something that inspires and motivates you. It is no good picking something that sounds brilliant and earthshaking in theory, but that will in practice bore or frustrate you. That is the surest way to produce poor quality work.
You should assess your own habits and motivations and come up with the best project that fits you. Colleges can usually tell a genuine interest from a manufactured one. Therefore, you should pick something which will allow you to show them your best work in a subject you are deeply immersed in. This will always produce the best results.
While I have said previously that a capstone project can be a good opportunity to experiment with a possible interest, it is important to briefly elaborate on that to provide better context.
It is an opportunity to expand on a preexisting interest that you are not sure if you want to dedicate your education or career to. It is not an opportunity to manufacture a completely new interest. Remember, a capstone is meant to be the finishing touch on your entire schooling. It should always relate to and expand upon your previous work.
It is therefore best to pick a capstone project that you function as the final step on a journey you have already been undertaking. If all else fails, consider your interests and passions and go from there. Even if it seems only tangentially related to academia, that would be better than choosing an academically sound project that doesn’t inspire you.
Capstone project examples
Conclusion: capstone projects in high school.
Be sure to discuss your options with your family and educators and consider what options work best for you given practical considerations.
And, finally, do not be discouraged by the depth of capstone projects. Consider it not as a test to pass or fail, but rather an opportunity to learn, grow, and prove your unique brilliance!
Learn how we can help you and your school with college and career guidance!
Fill Out Our Form!
College Application Boot Camp
Stay on track and ease your anxiety with our second-to-none college application assistance.
- Ethics & Honesty
- Free Consult
- Satisfaction and Money-Back Guarantee
- Join Our Team
Sign up for the The Admissions Strategist newsletter to get the latest information on college and career success
Research capstone in biological sciences.
- Capstone Guidelines
- Designated Capstone Courses
- Project Titles
The intent of the Biological Sciences capstone project is to integrate knowledge and skills learned in previous courses, including scientific knowledge, quantitative literacy, and communication skills, and apply these products of the university education to a creative activity. For a biologist, a fundamental expression of applied knowledge, creativity, and critical reasoning is to engage in scientific inquiry. The capstone project in Biological Sciences consists of a mentored research project on a biological topic that is completed in the junior or senior year. The requirements are:
- The capstone project must be chosen by the student in consultation with a faculty mentor.
- The faculty mentor must approve the project before work begins.
- The project must include the evaluation of data. In most cases the student will collect an original data set, but working with an existing data set is also acceptable.
- A formal written report in the style of a scientific paper.
- An oral presentation of the study goals and outcomes.
- A short, non-technical summary of the project goals and outcomes, written for the public.
All capstone projects are assessed using a common set of expectations (see Final Evaluation of Capstone Project).
The capstone project requirement may be met in one of two ways.
- Take a designated capstone course: A student may perform a project within a designated capstone course in Biological Sciences or Wildlife Biology and Conservation. Capstone courses are offered across a range of sub-disciplines within biology. A list of capstone courses in Biological Sciences may be found listed under the tab "Designated Capstone Courses" above or in the UAF catalog. All capstone courses include the expectation that the student will complete a biological research project. Typically, the capstone course instructor will introduce one or several model study systems and methodologies that will form the basis for the student’s project. The course instructor will assist the student to design a study and analyze the results. The capstone requirement within a course will be fulfilled only when the capstone project itself is evaluated as adequate or better for all criteria identified on the Final Evaluation of Capstone Projects rubric. It is expected that the capstone project will constitute only a portion of the course grade. Thus, it is possible for a student to pass a capstone course without receiving credit for the capstone project, and to receive credit for the capstone project without passing the course. When the student has successfully completed the project, instructors will provide the Biology and Wildlife Department with a signed evaluation form and copies of the written assignments (the formal paper and the non-technical summary) to be archived by the department.
- Work individually with a faculty mentor: A student may satisfy the capstone requirement by conducting a research project individually with a faculty mentor, typically a member of the UAF Biology & Wildlife faculty. A student may receive course credit for the research project by enrolling in independent study (e.g. BIOL F397 or F497), and these credits may be applied to the student's degree requirements; however, course credits are not necessary for completion of the capstone project. When the student has successfully completed the project, the student or research mentor should provide to the Biology and Wildlife Department a copy of the final paper and a copy of the Final Evaluation of the Capstone Project form, signed by the research mentor. If the mentor is not a member of the Biology and Wildlife faculty, then an additional faculty evaluation completed by a faculty member in the Biology and Wildlife Department will be necessary. Students and mentors should work together to fill out a mentoring agreement within the first few weeks of the project.
Written report: All capstone projects must include a final written assignment. The report is typically written in the format of a scientific paper containing an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, conclusion, acknowledgements, and literature cited. In some cases, the report may take the form of a research proposal. Written assignments should be at least 8 double-spaced pages (excluding figures and references) in length and cite at least 10 relevant references.
The acknowledgements section should contain the name of your research mentor, the name of your project evaluator (if different), the names of anyone who helped you along with a brief description of the help they provided, and your research funding sources if relevant (e.g. URSA, NSF grant to your mentor).
Non-Technical Summary: Communicating scientific results to the public is an important aspect of research. In addition to the formal written report, capstone research findings must be communicated in the form of a short, non-technical summary. The summary should consist of one or two paragraphs (1 page single spaced maximum) encapsulating the goal, approach, and findings of the study in language that could be understood by a non-scientist.
Oral presentation: The findings of all capstone projects must also be communicated orally. Oral presentations may be delivered in class, at a scientific conference, at UAF Research Day, or in another instructor-approved setting. Digitally-illustrated oral presentations and poster presentations are the most common forms of oral presentation.
Regardless of how the capstone project is completed (within a course or by working individually with a mentor) the student must signal his or her intent to initiate a capstone project by enrolling in BIOL F400, Capstone Project. BIOL F400 is not a traditional course. It costs nothing, confers no credit, and requires no additional work on the part of the student. Rather, it is a way for the administration to track which students are in the process of completing their capstone projects, and which have successfully completed a project and therefore satisfied the capstone requirement for graduation. A tracking system is necessary because the capstone can be completed in a variety of ways. A capstone project might extend across several semesters, or an initial project may be abandoned in favor of a new one. In these cases, there is no need to register for BIOL F400 repeatedly. If the capstone project is not completed, or not completed satisfactorily, within a semester, the BIOL F400 grade will be deferred (DF) grade until a later semester. The DF will be changed to P when the student passes the capstone project. A DF grade will convert to an F only if it remains on the record for more than 3 years. This conversion can be prevented by request if the student can demonstrate she or he is actively working to complete a project. Download the BIOL F400 syllabus . Catalog description: BIOL 400 Capstone Project 0 Credits Offered Fall and Spring This course should be taken by students during the semester they initiate a capstone research project. The capstone project may be completed within a designated course or by working individually with a faculty mentor; see the Biological Sciences program description for more information. The duration of the capstone project may exceed one semester. Prerequisites: Junior or senior standing. (0+0)
Biology Capstone Courses The biology capstone project requirement may be met in one of two ways. (1) Complete a project within one of the courses listed below. Or (2) Complete a mentored research project by working one-on-one with a faculty member. Students working individually with a faculty member may take individual study (BIOL 397 or 497) to earn credit toward graduation, but are not required to do so. Designated capstone courses
- BIOL F434—Plant Structure and Function of Vascular Plants (4 credits)
- BIOL 440 (online)—Behavioral Neuroscience Research Capstone (3 credits)
- BIOL F441—Animal Behavior (3 credits)
- BIOL F466—Advanced Cell and Molecular Laboratory (3 credits)
- BIOL F472 (online)—Community Ecology (3 credits)
- BIOL F473—Limnology (3 credits)
- BIOL F491—The Human Microbiome (4 credits)
Links to Related Forms
BIOL F400 Biological Sciences Capstone Project
- BIOL F400 - Capstone Project syllabus (pdf)
Mentoring Agreement Form
- Mentoring Agreement Form (fillable pdf) - for students doing their research individually with a faculty mentor (not necessary for students taking capstone classes)
Capstone Project Evaluation Forms
- Evaluation form - Fillable Word form
- Evaluation form - non-fillable pdf
Examples of Capstone Research Projects
- Understanding the differences in temperature sensitivity of soil respiration across differing boreal forest landscape types
- Anaerobic metabolic remodeling in three-spine stickleback fish in response to temperature acclimation
- Investigating the accuracy of herbal supplement ingredient lists with genetic sequencing
- Physiological effects of the Alaska wildland firefighting season on firefighters
- Investigating the effects of meromixis on invertebrate community structure and concentration of dissolved ions in a subarctic lake
- Protein quantification of diaphragm muscle tissue in the Arctic ground squirrel
- Damage induced by X-ray radiation in DU-145 cells
- UV-induced DNA repair in virally infected cells
- C3A Hepatocarcinoma cell line: study of DNA damage and repair
- Role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in rabies virus into host cells
- The origin and diversity of the octoploid Turkish parsley fern (Cryptogramma bithynica)
- Effect of hypothermia in energy metabolism
- Treeshrews as biomedical model organisms: an evolutionary perspective
- Does substrate size determine the diversity and abundance of macroinvertebrates in lakes?
- Effects of plant defense compounds on diesel rhizoremediation potential of three high latitude tree species
- Impact of Alaskan blueberry and lingonberry on stress resistance in Caenorhabditis elegans
- Chemical and biological characterization: Smith Lake versus Tanana Lake
- Arthropod abundance and richness at occupied and unoccupied nesting sites of Olive-sided Flycatchers (Contopus cooperi) in Alaska
- The effect of caffeine on Betta splendens courtship behavior
- Temperature limitations of freeze tolerance in dragonfly (Odonata: Anisoptera) larvae from a lake in interior Alaska
- How the environment affects the prevalence of recurrent airway obstruction observed in horses in Alaska
- Physiological evaluation of muskoxen (Ovibos moschatus) immobilized with Ketamine and Xylazine
- Creation of a prehistorical food web in Bristol Bay, Alaska
- DNA repair response to X-ray radiation: genomic damage in natural hibernators
- Measuring depression-like, anxiety-like, and compulsive-like behaviors in three different strains of mice
- Effects of caffeine on anxiety-like and compulsive-like behaviors in a non-induced OCD mouse model
- Effects of female audience reproductive state on male-male social interactions in the Siamese fighting fish
- Nutritional stress as a potential cause of massive mortality events in the Common Murre (Uria aalge)
- Dose-dependent effects of moderate alcohol exposure on aggression in male Betta splendens
- A correlation between testosterone and behaviors in male common house mice (Mus musculus) that have been selectively bred for nest size
- Depression in the mouse model: how effective is St John's Wort on selectively bred mice?
- Meta-analysis: the impact of cane toad presence (Bufo marinus) on the abundance of Australian birds and mammals
- Evaluating validity and assessing usefulness of the OCD mouse model
- Diesel biodegradation potential of birch and spruce rhizospheres
- Developing methods to determine the most probable number of aromatic-compound-degrading microorganisms in the soil of different birch species
- A study of aging and toxin-induced neurodegeneration in models of Caenorhabditis elegans
- Streptococcus uberis: Describing the emergence of a novel pathogen on Alaska's North Slope
- Impact of glycosylation on whole protein binding to MHC
- DNA damage and repair in cells exposed to X-ray irradiation
- Diet of marten in Interior Alaska
- Effects of aerobic exercise on heart myoglobin concentration in Mus musculus
- DNA repair in virally infected cells
- Evaluation of non-induced compulsive-like behavior in Mus musculus as an animal model for obsessive compulsive disorder
- Cellular DNA damage of Arctic ground squirrels during multiple metabolic stages
- Identifying plant families in ancient, environmental DNA from permafrost using DNA barcoding
- The effects of permafrost thaw on methanogens
- Comparing mercury concentrations in muscle and liver tissues of six Alaskan fish species
- Structure of zooplankton communities as a response to motorized disturbance in Boreal Kettle Lakes
- Evaluating lifewater ExtremeSTP wastewater treatment system efficiency by comparison of two subarctic lakes
- Social status and stress in Canis familiaris: The cost of being on top
- Sexual selection of normal and OCD model mice
- Using stable isotope analysis to identify colony origin of Common Murres affected by the mass die-off
- The effects of reduced body mass on short-term memory in Mus musculus
- Relationship of stable isotope signatures in red blood cells between mother, father and chick crested auklets
- Observing facial features in mice based on personality types
- Potential contamination of Thick-billed Murres migrating to waters surrounding Japan
- The impacts of stress on male fitness and intersexual selection
- The effects of temperature on corticosterone levels in feathers of Eastern Bluebird chicks
- Effect of exogenous corticosterone on fear responses in the Mus musculus
- The anxiolytic effect of ashwagandha on mice
- Effect of exercise on OCD behavior in mice
- Examining the aptitude of Labrador and Golden Retrievers (Canis familiaris) for working as service dogs in relation to stress
- The effects of temperature and humidity on the plant growth of Brassica rapa
- Survey of thermokarst and gravel pit lakes
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for In-Person Lab Sections
Add Project Key Words
Capstone Projects for High School Students
February 10, 2020
As colleges get more and more selective, you might be worried about how you can stand out among the thousands of talented candidates. One useful tip to keep in mind is that admissions officers want students who are truly passionate about what they do and have gone above and beyond to demonstrate their interests. If you’ve got an academic subject, topic, or even hobby that you love, consider taking on one of the many possible capstone projects for high school students .
It’s never too early to start brainstorming, especially when considering broad fields such as biology and economics. Finding a specific topic that relates to you personally is especially important with interests such as writing and art that are common for many applicants. To guide you through the process, I have outlined what exactly is meant by capstone projects for high school students , provided some topic suggestions to give you an idea of what yours might look like, and finally, outlined how your project can benefit your chances in the college admissions process.
What is a Capstone Project?
Capstone projects for high school students can take many different forms, depending on the topics that resonate with you, and what is feasible based on your location and the time you’re willing to spend. If you’d like a more concrete way to convey your skills, effort, and knowledge in a certain discipline, carrying out a capstone project - usually finished at the end of the school year - would be an effective way to reflect your interest. Throughout the project, you should make a plan, conduct research, maintain a portfolio if applicable, keep track of your progress, and finally, present it.
Students usually carry out these projects individually, but sometimes, depending on the breadth of the topic, form a group. You might want to find a mentor as a resource, though it’s not required. Choose a mentor who offers expertise in the field. For example, your history teacher can assist you on a paper about World War II, while your English teacher should be your go-to if you’re working on a poetry collection.
Once your project is ready, you should present your hard work in a form that makes sense for the field of your choice. Capstone projects for high school students could come to life in the form of a paper, video, public presentation, or something even more specific such as an app or book. You might submit it to a panel of your teachers or supervisors for a grade if applicable.
Brainstorming Topics for Capstone Projects for High School Students
Brainstorming capstone projects for high school students can be difficult. Where do you even start? Narrow down topics based on your intended major, career interest, or a problem in your community you’d want to tackle. You could even find an academic approach to one of your favorite extracurricular activities!
The project can take many forms. If you’re interested in studying filmmaking, you could create a short movie or documentary. If you’re conducting biological research, you could write an academic paper and try to get it published. Check out the following table, which we’ve divided up by fields, in order to inspire ideas for your own initiative as you continue brainstorming capstone projects for high school students .
As you can see, there is a world of possibilities. Your projects can also be on a relatively small scale if you don’t have the resources or the time. If you have multiple interests, you can combine various fields, such as art and business, engineering and biology, writing and social justice. If you’re thinking about pursuing one of these capstone projects for high school students , carefully consider what you can genuinely put the most effort into and create something that is unique to you!
How Can a Capstone Project Help You in the Admissions Process?
You might be wondering whether conducting capstone projects for high school students helps with your college applications. If done well, such work can impress admissions officers, as it would show that you aren’t afraid of taking initiative. If you work on the project with a team, this could be a great demonstration of your leadership and collaboration skills. Over the course of your work, depending on your project, you can also hone your research, writing, and public speaking skills.
Colleges appreciate students who are specialized in one or two particular areas. Starting your own capstone project can effectively emphasize your passion for your major or prospective career. Considering that you will probably work very hard on the project and that it might end up having a deep impact on you (and vice versa), you could find yourself writing your personal statement or supplemental essays on the experience. Having worked on a project like this would portray clear ambition on your part. Admissions officers would get a strong impression of the ways you would contribute to the campus community.
At the end of the day, the sole purpose of your project shouldn’t be just to boost your application profile. Genuinely work hard on your project and make sure your reasons behind pursuing it are convincing. Admissions officers will organically get a sense of your intellectual pursuits and commitment to creating something beyond what’s expected out of your academic interests.
Capstone projects for high school students not only convey your passion towards a field, but they help you develop and hone skills that can benefit you throughout the rest of your life. Remember, that taking on such a project requires time, dedication, and patience, so don’t tackle something huge unless you can handle it. But if you commit to it with enthusiasm and determination, your efforts can go a long way toward increasing your knowledge, impressing colleges, and positively contributing to your community. Good luck!
Tags : applying to college , capstone projects for high school students , what is a capstone project , excelling in high school , projects in high school
You May Also Be Interested In..
Some other related content
How to Start a Club in High School
How to start a nonprofit in high school, a guide to 9th grade activities: how to spend your time wisely, schedule a free consultation.
to find out how we can help you get accepted.
Biology capstone project Topics for High school · The process of DNA replication in cells · The effects of different types of nutrients on plant
Senior Capstone Project Ideas Biology · The negative effect of acid rain on the agricultural sphere in the USA; · The main concepts of DNA reproduction in biology
Biology Capstone Project Ideas · The biological effects of siring a child with a first cousin · How is pollination affected by the flower color? · The reasons
Senior Capstone Project Ideas in Biology · Consequences of acid rains for agricultural spheres · Ethical and technical issues of human cloning · Consequences of
Molecular and Genome Evolution · Comparative Genomics · The Evolutionary Biology of Infectious Diseases · Modern Technology and Scientific Tools in Biology
Choose an Interesting Topic · Is Homosexuality Genetically Based? · The Scientific Perspective on Hypnosis: Is It Real? · How Hormones Contribute to Depression;
Fix something, like a broken-down bridge in the forest or a rundown car; study how to improve planes or cars and develop a novel design; build a clock that
The capstone project in Biological Sciences consists of a mentored research project on a biological topic that is completed in the junior or senior year. The
BIOLOGY CAPSTONE PROJECT IDEAS. Abortion:. Relation. Effects. Understanding. of. Vaccines. of. to. Biological. Effects. Infant. Menstruation. Developing.
Brainstorming Topics for Capstone Projects for High School Students ; Computer Science, Design an app or video game on a topic of interest; Study