What's Your Question?
What Are the Steps to Become a Nurse?
If you’re interested in pursuing a trusted, compassionate career in health care, you might be wondering “what do I need to become a nurse?” Though not necessarily as time consuming as becoming a doctor, becoming a nurse does require specific education and careful planning.
Step 1: Get a Reality Check
Nursing is a highly respected profession, but it isn’t an easy path to take. If you’re looking for a quick way to get into a job, nursing probably isn’t right for you. Most nurses need at least two years of formal education before they’re qualified, and that education usually involves a lot of highly technical scientific topics. You also should consider whether the job is right for your personality. Nurses typically need to be patient with difficult people, calm in a crisis and willing to work long hours.
Step 2: Decide What Kind of Nurse You Want to Be
There are several different nursing profession roles, ranging from certified nursing assistants (CNAs) (who require the least education) to highly specialized nurse practitioners or registered nurses (RNs) (who often have formal degrees and may even obtain graduate-level educations in their fields). Beyond simply choosing what level of nursing education is right for you, it might also be a good idea to consider what area of nursing is most appealing (whether it’s assisting in surgery or working in a pediatrician’s office) before you pursue education.
Step 3: Get Educated
Each level of nursing has its own educational requirements. You may be able to work as a CNA with just a certificate, while RNs and nurse practitioners may need bachelor’s degrees or higher. Some nurses who are on track to obtain high-level credentials may work as certified nursing assistants while they’re in school to gain practical experience and learn more about the field.
Step 4: Get Licensed
Nurses typically need an official license to get a job and practice nursing. Licensure requirements usually vary by state. The Ohio Board of Nursing, for example, may not have the same education requirements or licensure exam process as the California Board of Nursing.
Step 5: Apply for Jobs
As with any other career, nurses typically need to go through a job application process to actually practice their profession. Unless you get very lucky with a referral or a connection through networking, you’ll probably need to look at job postings, send in applications and go through an interview process. You may need to apply for more than one job before you find your place in nursing, and it may be necessary for you to emphasize important skills or experiences in addition to your education in order to succeed.
MORE FROM QUESTIONSANSWERED.NET
Top Online Nursing Programs
The 2020 coronavirus pandemic certainly reminded the world of the importance of quality nursing. If you’re interested in training to become a nurse but don’t have the schedule flexibility you need to attend classes in person, an online nursing program could offer an ideal alternative. Fortunately, prospective students can choose from a wide variety of online nursing programs at many universities across the country.
However, because nursing involves hands-on clinical care, those programs often require students to attend certain sessions in person. It’s important to consider the details for this special requirement (if applicable) when choosing a school to ensure you could feasibly travel to your preferred institution if it’s necessary to occasionally attend in person. If not, a 100% online college may offer a better solution. Start your review process with a look at some of the top online nursing programs offered by various accredited U.S. institutions.
Online Associate Degree in Nursing
An associate degree in nursing prepares students for entry-level job positions in the healthcare sector and is the lowest degree level required to become a registered nurse (RN). The average salary of registered nurses in the U.S. in 2018 was more than $71,000, but an RN with this entry-level degree should expect to make closer to the lower end of the salary range at around $58,000 a year. Typically, this course of study takes two years to complete and requires some courses to be completed onsite at the medical school. Upon completing the degree plan, the student must also pass the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to receive the necessary credentials to practice as a registered nurse. Top ranked online associate degree nursing programs, according to Accredited Schools Online — an organization dedicated to helping students find the best fully accredited online schools to meet their needs — include Barton County Community College (Kansas), Sinclair College (Ohio), St. Philips College (Texas), Tulsa Community College and Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.
Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Besides expanding expertise and training, earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) can boost anticipated salaries as much as 15% beyond average RN salaries with associate degrees . Most online BSN programs are designed for students who are already working as registered nurses but want to expand their career opportunities by earning a bachelor’s degree. The required number of credits is similar to other bachelor degrees and typically takes RNs (who already have associate degrees) about 15 months to two years to complete.
Because these programs are specifically designed for working nurses, it’s possible to find some schools that allow students to complete all their coursework 100% online. According to Affordable Colleges Online, registered nurses with BSN degrees can expect to earn an average of $83,000 per year . Top contenders in the online RN-to-BSN arena include Oklahoma State University, Baptist Memorial College of Health Sciences (Tennessee), Rutgers University (New Jersey), Indiana University and Goshen College (Indiana).
Online Master of Science in Nursing
As with BSN degrees, a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) can be earned 100% online at some schools without attending a single class in person. These programs are popular with RNs who already have bachelor’s degrees (required) and want to expand their careers into administrative fields or teaching. Salaries at this level increase to the higher end of the scale, usually near the upper $80,000 range. U.S. News & World Report ranks Rush University (Illinois), University of South Carolina, Johns Hopkins University, Ohio State University and St. Xavier University (Illinois) at the top of its list of online graduate nursing programs.
Earning an MSN was once the only option for nurses who wanted to eventually become any type of advanced practice RN, which includes nurse practitioner, clinical nursing specialist, certified nurse midwife, nursing educator, clinical nursing leader and anesthetist, but that changed in 2015 when the American Association of Colleges of Nursing changed the recommendation for advanced practice nursing to a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. State regulations currently determine which degree is required for advanced practice nursing.
Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
The relatively new Doctor of Nursing Practice is the highest attainable clinical nursing degree, but students can still earn this degree through various online programs. The degree program’s sub-specialties include Doctor of Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, Doctor of Nursing Science and Doctor of Nursing Philosophy. All the programs emphasize research, expanding scholarly knowledge and preparing nurses for leadership roles in clinical practice. Nurses with this degree typically earn significantly more than the average RN, depending on their exact position. Nurse practitioners often make more than 100,000 annually, for example.
The increasing number of elderly Americans and the increasing healthcare focus on preventative care led the Bureau of Labor Statistics to predict an increase of 36% in nurse practitioner jobs from 2016 to 2026, and many institutions and states now require a nursing doctoral degree instead of the former MSN to obtain that job. According to NurseJournal.org, some of the best online programs for earning a Doctor of Nursing Practice include Azusa Pacific University (California), Bradley University (Illinois), Catholic University of America (Washington D.C.), Clemson University (South Carolina) and DeSales University (Pennsylvania).
MORE FROM BLOGLINES
Capstone Projects for Nursing Programs
Learn about our editorial process .
Updated December 2, 2022 · 3 Min Read
Our Integrity Network
NurseJournal.org is committed to delivering content that is objective and actionable. To that end, we have built a network of industry professionals across higher education to review our content and ensure we are providing the most helpful information to our readers.
Drawing on their firsthand industry expertise, our Integrity Network members serve as an additional step in our editing process, helping us confirm our content is accurate and up to date. These contributors:
- Suggest changes to inaccurate or misleading information.
- Provide specific, corrective feedback.
- Identify critical information that writers may have missed.
Integrity Network members typically work full time in their industry profession and review content for NurseJournal.org as a side project. All Integrity Network members are paid members of the Red Ventures Education Integrity Network.
Explore our full list of Integrity Network members.
Are you ready to earn your online nursing degree?
Capstone courses function as a bridge between the end of school and the beginning of a career, allowing nursing students to put what they've learned into practice. As the name suggests, students complete capstones toward the end of their nursing training. Not every nursing program requires a capstone, but those that do generally culminate in a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) or doctor of nursing practice (DNP) degree.
Each nursing program sets their own requirements. While capstone formats differ between programs, they typically consist of an evidence-based practice formal paper or presentation. Students might complete their capstone projects as team leaders, and BSN candidates may present their papers to a faculty panel. Projects could include case studies, program evaluations, and policy analyses.
The focus on evidence-based practice allows students to apply research and experiential evidence toward solving a healthcare problem. For example, candidates may develop intervention strategies that promote health, improve outcomes, enhance quality of life, and foster safe practices for patients.
Capstone goals center on the application of knowledge gained during nursing training programs, including topics related to leadership , management, research, theories, and evidence-based practice, along with the strategies needed to transition from students to baccalaureate-level nurses.
Choosing Your Nursing Capstone Topic
When selecting a capstone topic, students should evaluate their interests, strengths, and weaknesses, along with their chosen nursing specialty area. Luther College recommends that students with lower GPAs and weaker nursing skills consider a basic medical-surgical topic. Those with strong clinical skills and high GPAs might choose emergency or intensive care medicine, although some students might prefer outpatient topics, such as clinical services, long-term care, or public health. However, this is simply an example of one school's approach, and readers should keep in mind that each school sets its own policies and recommendations.
Asking for guidance from faculty, supervisors, preceptors, and fellow students also helps narrow down capstone topics. Advisors can also provide assistance in choosing an appropriate capstone site, helping with questions of geographical location, facility size, patient population, and care delivery model.
Students develop and learn the skills needed to complete their capstones throughout their training. These include organization and time management, knowledge of evidence-based practice, writing, and critical thinking. They also learn to conduct literature searches, identify research designs, and evaluate evidence.
Completing Your Nursing Capstone
Capstone formats and completion times widely vary between programs. Students at Luther College and Purdue University Northwest complete their capstones in 4-5 weeks, while Ferris State University specifies a timeframe of 30 hours of online classes and 90 hours of applied project work. Case Western Reserve University's capstone spans 10 weeks.
Regardless of the program, most students follow a PICO format for project proposal questions of inquiry: population, intervention, comparison or condition, and outcome.
Some universities allow capstone projects to be completed in teams, in which students develop and implement the project. Capstone components may include defining the project and the team leader's role, selecting team members, and formulating the project plan.
In addition to the skills previously referenced, such as knowledge of evidence-based care, critical thinking, and effective writing, capstone courses hone leadership and management abilities These include mastering therapeutic communication, applying leadership and management concepts, and developing collaborative relationships and working on multidisciplinary teams.
Presenting Your Nursing Capstone
The capstone process culminates in a paper or presentation that measures students' skills in communication, information dissemination, and application of evidence-based practice skills. Members of the public may attend.
Utilizing the poster format, students commonly use three panels to illustrate: (1) the background, problem, and purpose; (2) methodology; and (3) 2-3 key findings and implications. Students who present using PowerPoint on a laptop or other device should pay attention to time limits, planning for one slide per minute, and verify that equipment and internet connectivity are available.
Visuals like graphs, figures, and bullet points are more effective than large blocks of text . Students should practice presenting in front of others to ensure that they thoroughly know their content and can answer questions. Backing up a copy of a PowerPoint presentation and printing out copies or transparencies guards against last-minute glitches.
Featured Online Bachelor's Programs
How is a nursing capstone graded.
Capstone grading methods differ between programs, with some issuing letter grades and others using a pass/no pass system. Grades typically hinge on a percentage basis of the project's written sections, the final proposal, and the presentation. Faculty evaluate how students execute the capstone course objectives, which may include the following:
Problem identification related to nursing practice, administration, policy, or education
Theoretical research and literature review, critical analysis and synthesis of literature and research findings, recommendations for evidence-based practice, discussion of implications regarding nursing roles, research, policy, and education, professional and civil collaboration and communication, use of the nursing process: assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation, compliance with the nursing code of ethics, including ethical use of technology.
Students' presentation skill evaluation criteria include exhibiting thorough preparation and knowledge of the subject matter, clear and concise communication, adherence to any time limits, ability to answer questions and cite references, and persuasiveness.
What is the Difference Between a Nursing Capstone and a Thesis?
Students complete capstones individually or in groups, while thesis projects must be done alone. Capstone project time lengths span between four and 12 weeks, while graduate students work on their thesis projects throughout their 2- to 3-year programs. Graduate thesis courses generally take place over 1-2 semesters to keep students on track.
Finally, capstone topics evaluate current issues and theories; thesis students incorporate existing case studies and literature while exploring and arguing for their own original research. Some schools require students to publish their thesis papers in a healthcare journal.
Theresa Granger, Ph.D., MN, NP-C With over two decades of teaching and clinical practice as a family nurse practitioner, Dr. Granger is an expert in nursing education and clinical practice at all levels of education (associate, baccalaureate, and graduate). She has published and lectured extensively on nursing education and clinical practice-related content. Her expertise ranges from student advising and mentoring to curricular and content design (both on ground and online) to teaching and formal course delivery. Dr. Granger is one of the founding faculty members of the University of Southern California’s first ever fully online graduate family nurse practitioner program .
NurseJournal.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Whether you’re looking to get your pre-licensure degree or taking the next step in your career, the education you need could be more affordable than you think. Find the right nursing program for you.
Popular Nursing Resources
Resources and articles written by professionals and other nurses like you.
What is a Capstone Like in Nursing School?
Learn about our editorial process .
Updated November 29, 2022 · 2 Min Read
BestValueSchools.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to discover your college program?
A capstone, often called a "senior capstone," has one essential purpose in any field: that of furthering the career advancement of those who complete it successfully. Because it is often presented as a prerequisite, the final course in a degree program , its value is based substantially on the reputation and accreditation of the institution that makes it available. It is a frequent part of programs in highly technical fields, academic fields (where it may be optional, though no less valuable) and medical fields. Increasingly, in recent years, it has become a regular part of nursing programs throughout the US.
What is a nursing school capstone like, and why should nursing students embrace it?
A Capstone Course Requires EBP Project Design
In many schools, the major focus of the senior capstone is on an EBP project. EBP is short for "evidence-based practice," and the idea is to reinforce a sound best practices viewpoint in the handling of critical situations, of the kind that are replete throughout the modern healthcare industry. Common focal points for projects such as these are on new ways to handle the spread of treatment-resistant infections within a healthcare setting, as well as ways to better organize and administer staffing and scheduling-related concerns. Typically, the student will work with a practicing professional on completing their capstone course, in order to provide practical, real-world experience in designing their project.
Featured Online Programs
Figuring out where to apply? These top, accredited schools offer a variety of online degrees. Consider one of these accredited programs, and discover their value today.
Working in a Practical Capacity
Establishing the necessary networking connections for a capstone project will often begin months before enrollment, as a qualified professional (themselves typically a capstone graduate) must be found to assist the student with completing their work. In itself, this demanding and rigorous schedule, which often corresponds with other intensive coursework occurring at the same time, is also a part of the student's capstone course. They must demonstrate their ability to think quickly, work under pressure, and resolve problems in a timely fashion — without potentially putting patients, their families, their coworkers, or the public at large at risk. There are many ways in which a bad decision made by a medical professional can put people at risk, and the capstone is designed and formatted specifically to help weed out those behaviors.
The Goal of the Capstone Project
Through the completion of their capstone, a nursing student is expected to demonstrate their ability to create evidence-based analyses for critical situations in a healthcare environment. However, there's more to it than that: the student will have demonstrated their awareness of the importance of the field of nursing within modern healthcare, as well as their ability to explain that importance to others. Finally, they will have shown their ability to disseminate knowledge of key issues facing the healthcare industry today, within an academic environment. In so doing, they demonstrate their ability to perform administrative and educational functions, marking them as candidates for assisting future nurses in either capacity. This makes the capstone a tremendous opportunity for promoting career growth, in multiple different directions.
A senior nursing school capstone is intensive, demanding, and is based heavily upon a student's ability to analyze and apply empirical evidence to solving a particular problem. Through their successful completion of a capstone project, a nursing student marks themselves as being capable of thinking on their feet, and of using practical experience to solve serious issues in today's clinical healthcare environment. Such an individual makes a much more desirable candidate for employment, and also qualifies them for additional training and administrative authority.
Top 30 Cheap Online RN to BSN Degree Programs
Get prepared for your next steps
Use articles and resources to uncover answers to common questions, get guidance on your goals, and learn about applying to schools.
Discover a program that is right for you.
Explore different options for you based on your degree interests.
Creative Nursing capstone Project Ideas
Your search for the best capstone project ideas for nursing capstone projects ends here. If you are wondering what a good nursing capstone topic idea to choose is, we will guide you through the process of selecting the best topic given different possibilities. We are a nursing writing service that every other nursing student wants to associate with, and it is because we are passionate about what we do.
When you are ready for your BSN, MSN, or DNP capstone project , you can easily get confused with plenty of ideas that come to mind. You might end up choosing a capstone project idea that is unperceivable and lacks content online. Maybe you will most likely settle for a broad topic, or you are just out of capstone ideas in nursing; you should definitely take some coffee, find a relaxed position, and drink from this pot of wisdom. With 100+ nursing capstone project ideas, you surely must get one that fits your taste. Do not peter out yet; our professional nurse writers can help you draft the capstone project outline as well.
Our expert nursing capstone paper writers have always handled topics in different specialties and topics. You can rely on us for graduate nursing capstone project ideas (MSN and DNP level).
Unlike the list of capstone project ideas you will encounter online, we have categorized these ideas to refine them further and make it easier for you to pick one depending on your specialty. Whether you are a BSN, MSN, or DNP student, we are optimistic that this comprehensive list on the internet is all you need to begin brainstorming on your capstone project topics .
What is the Nursing Capstone Project?
A nursing capstone project also referred to as a senior capstone or capstone experience refers to an academic paper that consolidates practical work experience, experimentation, facts to help identify real-world setting issues, and applying skills from class to develop actionable solutions. Capstone projects in nursing can either be inclined towards research or problem-solving.
A nursing capstone paper can be anywhere between 20 pages and 100 pages in length. It should have a compelling argument, exhibit the choice of excellent capstone nursing topics.
Capstone projects are evidence-based practice (EBP) projects and reinforce best practices in different nursing fields. A common focus of the capstone projects in nursing is how to implement technology into practice and effective care delivery. They also revolve around finding solutions for better healthcare management of the staff and staffing issues.
When undertaking a capstone project course, a student works with a practicing professional (a capstone graduate) to help them all the way, offer real-world experience, and advise on the design.
Why Capstone Projects are Important for Nursing Students
There are many goals of a nursing capstone project. These reasons are anchor the need for most students to choose a capstone project over a nursing thesis if given a chance.
- Understanding Community Needs. Through handling the nursing capstone projects, students identify and address the healthcare needs and issue within their community settings.
- Capstone projects help define an information problem or opportunity. For instance, if the rates of childhood obesity are high, a capstone project can come up with assured strategies to address the scourge.
- The nursing capstone project also helps develop an interest in a given specialty. As one works on their capstone projects, they can, in the process, develop a passion for a given area of interest.
- Capstone projects are a chance to combine work from class with professional practice. As students handle their capstone projects, they can apply various nursing theories, frameworks, models, and ideas to help their professional development.
- It helps students look at the world from a systems approach point of view. A student who resorts to a nursing capstone project will most likely make a difference in the community, clinical setting of the healthcare department by trying to solve systemic problems in their specific area.
A good capstone project must reflect research ethics, statistics, program theory, leadership and is always preceded by a capstone research proposal.
Given the goals, graduate program capstone projects in nursing might take an entire semester. On the other hand, BSN capstone projects might take ten weeks to two semesters.
Do you need help with writing your nursing capstone project?
Difference between a Nursing Capstone Project and a Nursing Thesis
As you get close to the final term and the residency program gets closer, you will most likely either handle a thesis or a capstone project. A typical confusing question nursing students ask is, what's the difference between a capstone and a thesis in nursing? We have the answers right here for you.
Most nursing programs, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels, mandate that the students complete either a nursing thesis or a capstone project. While a thesis project is meant to focus on a general issue and provide insights to the reader, a capstone thinly focuses on a specific issue, concern, or problem in the realm of nursing.
Also, unlike a thesis that presents a theory or solution, a capstone paper describes the issue using a fact-based approach.
A capstone project is most likely to be assigned from undergraduate to graduate level, whereas a nursing thesis is only assigned to graduate nursing students. Nursing capstone projects are also more focused compared to the theses. One of the reasons is because a capstone demonstrates the understanding of the topic through a detailed analytical approach. On the other hand, a thesis paper for nursing entails the generation of hypothesis or research questions, conducting research, analysis of data, explanation of the findings, and concluding as well as recommending the evidence-based practice.
Even with the differences, both nursing thesis and capstone projects form grounds for evidence-based practice in nursing.
Useful Tips when Choosing Great Nursing Capstone Ideas
Most nursing students complain that they do not have topics for their nursing capstone projects. One thing most students fail to realize is that they can approach their faculty advisor to help them select a capstone project idea that is relevant to their career goals. Here are some useful tips to help you arrive at your capstone idea of choice for your nursing program:
- Choose a topic or capstone project idea for nursing that has not been widely explored. This way, you get to chart a path that others who come after you will follow. You will also gain knowledge through research, analysis, and presentation.
- Choose nursing capstone projects that are interesting to you. If you decide to go with a topic on technology, for instance, be sure that your career goals align with nursing informatics or any tech-related aspect in healthcare.
- Use the internet to look for the scholarly sources that support your capstone idea of choice. Again, you do not want to choose a nursing capstone idea that does not have credible facts to support your idea. Go for strong nursing capstone ideas supported by theories, frameworks, and facts from scholarly nursing sources.
- Have a range of nursing capstone ideas. Then after coming up with three-four topic ideas, consult with your capstone project mentor on the best approach to take.
- When looking for topics for your nursing capstone, do not go for straightforward ideas. Chances always are that they won't get approval from your professor.
We can all agree that even though making a successful nursing capstone project is laborious, picking the best capstone project idea from the onset makes the entire process seamless and successful. If you have trouble and need help, our qualified capstone writers can help you choose the best. We are a leading nursing capstone project writing service on the internet.
The Potential Sources to Get Creative Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Necessity is always the mother of invention. When the time comes for you to come up with ideas for your capstone project in nursing, you can always wonder where to look. However, here are some highlights of the best places to look for nursing capstone project ideas.
1. Nursing News Articles
Google Search makes it easy to search for recent news in any realm. Think about the issue of mental health among the homeless, elderly abuse in-home care, or mental health among veterans in the news. It can give you insights on what areas to focus on, depending on the community you come from. When you read through the news, you will most likely click on an idea that could be the best for your nursing capstone.
2. Peer-Reviewed Nursing Journals
As a focused nursing student, access to peer-reviewed article databases is a must. You are most likely an ardent reader of medical or nursing journals online. By way of research, you could also have accidentally stumbled or objectively found some useful insights from such journals.
Have you spent time reading recent publications in journals? What are some of the topics that strike you the most? Are there issues open to debate that relates to nursing or the clinical environment? Are there gaps in research that need to be understood? When objectively reading recent articles published in nursing and medical-related journals is a viable way to come up with worthy capstone project ideas for your nursing capstone projects.
3. Clinical Rounds
Clinical allows you to work with a preceptor and sometimes shadow your peers when there is a shortage. In this respect, you may have learned a great deal from the clinical. You can convert the knowledge on your experiences during your clinical rounds and when offering care to the patient. How did you feel? What were some of the challenges? What concepts worked, and which ones flopped? Did the clinical facility apply evidence-based practice or evidence-based nursing? Were the staff focused on patient-centered care? You can generate many ideas at the end of the day by just reflecting on your clinical.
4. Nursing Capstone Papers from Past Classes
You will most likely be paired with a graduate capstone student. You can also ask your instructor and friends who have been through the nursing capstone paper writing process.
Skim through the past nursing capstone papers and see if some ideas come to mind. You will notice that as you interact with the content, your mind will wander into insightful topic ideas for your capstone project.
5. Class Notes and Material
The course objectives are given before you commence a course that can also be a starting point to brainstorm for nursing capstone ideas. As you read the objectives, you will understand what the end project capstone paper must look like. Also, class notes and reading material can give you useful insights. Still, you can comb through your past nursing essays, research papers, concept papers, and term papers or case studies to get good nursing capstone ideas.
Related Reading : Learn how to write a nursing capstone paper from our comprehensive nursing capstone project guide for students at any level: BSN, MSN, or DNP.
Nursing Capstone Project Ideas for Mental Health
- The link between homelessness and mental health issues
- The efficiency of Yoga in maintaining mental health wellbeing
- Use of expressive art therapy for positive youth development
- Using CBT for PTSD affected veterans
- Impact of sexual abuse on children
- How domestic violence affects the children
- Culture-based mental health programs
- Impacts of bullying at the workplace for new nurses
- Development of a new mental health guide for educators
- The use of cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques in psychiatric facilities
- Art therapy and mental health
- Causes of suicide among youths
- Child and adolescent psychiatry
- Ketamine infusion therapy
- Tobacco dependence
- Safety in the psychiatric centers
- Preventing falls in psychiatric facilities
- Substance abuse disorders
- Substance abuse among the geriatric population
- Health education approach for mentally ill patients
- Addressing stigma among carers and patients with mental health issues
- Mental health issues among the aboriginal populations
- Understanding postnatal depression among women
- Mental health nursing for adolescents
- Mental health scales best for children in prison
- Access to mental health services by aboriginals or a specific population
- Lateral violence among nurses
- Effectiveness of mental health services for deaf service users
- Outcome measures for an inpatient with mental health issues
- Mental illness and autonomous decision making
- Psychological rehabilitation readiness assessment
- Links between heritage, arts, museums, and mental health
- Impacts of teenage suicides
- Preparing student nurses to manage trauma in clinical settings
- Mental health simulation models for ADN students
- Are Intellectual Disability Nurses perceived differently from other nurses?
Medical Surgery Capstone Project Ideas
- Operating room nurses and compassion fatigue
- Burnout among anesthetists
- Surgical asepsis
- How to implement surgical smoke evacuation in the operating room
- States that require surgical smoke evacuation
- Improving the Health of Perioperative Nurses by Eliminating Surgical Smoke
- Complications of general anesthesia
- Roles and responsibilities of nurses in OT
- Fumigation of OT
- The Dangers of Electrosurgical Smoke to Operating Room Personnel
- Obstacles for implementing effective smoke evacuation procedures and preventive measures
- Causes and symptoms of Meningitis
- Arterial bypass surgery
- The Impacts of surgical smoke on the surgical staff
- Peripheral artery bypass
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Bariatric surgery intervention for obese patients
- Role of the clinical nurse coordinator
- Organ failure and transplantation
- Patient care involvement and intervention post-surgery
- Improving safety in operating rooms
- Operating room requirements and set up
- Complexity within the cardiac intensive care unit environment
- Burn nursing through surgical care
- Role of certified registered nurse anaesthetist (CRNA)
- Preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases of surgery
- Lyme diseases
- Minimally Invasive Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Celiac disease management
- Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Stem cells therapy in cancer
- Interventional cardiology and surgery
- Surgical interventions for neurogenic shock
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever
- Peptic ulcers disease management
- Angina pectoris management
- Cushing syndrome management
- Management of COPD
- Immunodeficiency disorder
- Dermatitis management
- Diabetic foot care
- Thyroid storm and crisis
- Insulin therapy
- Congenital heart disease
- Raynaud's diseases
- Phlebotomy procedure
- Digitalis therapy
- Post-operative nursing practice in Asccitis
- Pre and post-operative care for general surgery
- Minor and significant surgery: compare and contrast
- Post-operative complications
- An interdisciplinary approach to surgical interventions
- Role of ICU nurse
- Application of thermal heating to prevent intraoperative hypothermia
- Treatment of fire wounds
- Classification and management approaches to burn wounds
- Performing CPR
- Wound healing processes and management
Related: Psychology research paper topics .
Nursing Leadership Capstone Project Ideas
Here is a list of some nursing leadership ideas that can be a great starting point when choosing a creative topic for your nursing leadership capstone project.
Leadership is a great area that many researchers venture into. However, this does not mean that all the knowledge is exhausted.
When selecting the nursing leadership capstone topics, you need to be very keen not to choose a broad topic that will make you dilute the content of your nursing capstone project.
- Importance of charismatic leadership among nurse leaders
- The stress management approach for nurse leaders
- Professional development strategies for nurses
- Importance of ethical practice among nurse leaders
- Impact of nurse leadership on patient outcomes
- Significance of nurse leadership
- What is leadership from a nursing perspective?
- Long term and short-term goals for clinical leaders
- Theories that support nurse leadership
- Importance of nurse leaders in quality improvement projects
- How nurse leaders can initiate and manage change
- The link between nurse leadership and change management
- Nurse leadership: Passion or Duty?
- Role of transformational leadership among nurse managers
- Significance of communication among interprofessional team nurse leaders
- Impacts of nurse engagement and inclusion on patient outcomes
- Organizational strategies nurse leaders can use to motivate the healthcare personnel
- Challenges facing contemporary nurse leaders
- Role of nurse leaders in solving conflicts in clinical settings
- Nurse leaders as patient advocates
- Role of nurse leaders in preventing violence in emergency rooms
- How nurse leaders can address burnout among nurses
- Importance of having a personal leadership philosophy as a nurse leader
- Leadership in the U.S. Health system
- Influential nurse leaders in the political space
- Senators and governors who are nurses in the U.S.
- Role of nurse managers in healthcare
- Nurse leadership qualities and behavior
- Effective nursing leadership styles
- Leadership in nursing education
- Student nurses and leadership
- Top qualities of a great nurse leader
- Management styles in nursing
- Improving nursing leadership skills
- Interview with a nurse leader
- Strategies to Address the Shortage of Respiratory Therapists and Ventilators during Disaster
- Strength and weaknesses of charge nurses
- Role of nurse leaders in shaping public policy
- Leadership characteristics that represent excellence
- Defining leadership in nursing
- Training plan for nurse leaders
- Transactional leadership approach among nurses
- The future of nurse leadership
- How nurse leaders can ensure team leadership for the best collaboration in healthcare teams
- Traits of a great nurse leader
- Comparing and contrasting nurse leadership roles in private and public hospitals.
- Difference between accountability among nurse leaders in developed nations and developing nations
- Nurse leaders as change agents in healthcare settings
- Impact of recognition program on Registered Nurses motivation level
- Pharmaceutical Companies Overpricing Medication: Background and Policy Landscape
- The Roles of Nursing Organizations in Shaping the future of nursing
Patient Falls Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Patient falls are an active area that is being continuously addressed by nurses.
As a DNP, MSN, or BSN student, you can easily choose a capstone project topic on patient falls and craft a well-written capstone project that can earn you the best grades.
When looking at the holistic issue of patient falls, there are measurement scales, contributing factors such as dementia, mental and physical health issues, age, or Alzheimer's, which you must take into account.
Different fall prevention and fall management strategies can also be an active area for research when undertaking your nursing capstone project. Here are some ideas:
- Prevention of patient falls through education
- Fall prevention strategies in home settings
- Fall prevention strategies in hospitals
- Potential causes of falls in hospitals
- Defining fall and fall risk patient
- The use of SPICES framework and FAMILY cards to assess old patients
- Nursing interventions to prevent falls
- Evidence-based practice falls intervention strategies in hospital settings.
- The use of video and camera monitoring to prevent falls among elderly patients
- The use of technology in fall prevention
- Hospital-Based Fall Program Measurement and Improvement in High-Reliability Organizations
- Role of hospital leadership in preventing patient falls
- Quality improvement program for reducing falls in medical-surgical units
- Factors contributing to psychiatric patient falls in hospitals
- Creating a safety culture that prevents falls
- Multifactorial fall risk assessment
- Healthcare Managers Role in Fall-Related Injury Prevention in Assisted Living Facilities
- Fall risk among osteoporosis patients
- Multifactorial interventions for the prevention of falls among elderly patients
- Use of exercise in reducing falls among elderly patients
- The Morse fall risk scale and its significance in fall risk assessment and management
- Characteristics of at fall risk patients
- Using engineering controls to prevent falls among patients and the elderly
- Outpatient fall risk assessment tool
- Effects of implementing evidence-based fall risk scale on fall rates
- Standardized fall risk assessment tool
- Medical staff attitude and knowledge about in-patient falls
- Patient fall rates in the acute care in-patient hospitals
- Patient fall education and patient safety
- Nurse education on patient falls and safety culture
- Strategies to reduce patient injuries from falls
- Fall prevention practices at home
- Environmental assessment and modification as a fall management strategy
- Home modification approach to falls management
- Impacts of the design of healthcare stings/environments on patient fall
- Physical environmental risk factors for elderly falls
- Home safety modifications to reduce fall injuries among geriatric patients
- Home environment assessment for elderly patients
- Safety awareness activities for elderly patients
- Strategies and tools to address patient falls in nursing homes
- Impacts of visiting home nurses on reducing in-patient falls
- Role of pharmacists in addressing patient falls
- An interdisciplinary approach to fall management in clinical settings
- Hourly Rounding and Fall Prevention among the elderly in long term care: A change process.
Women's Health Capstone Project Ideas
The area of women's health is also an active area of research where you can choose a creative nursing capstone idea.
For instance, it integrates breastfeeding nursing capstone ideas, sexual health, the general wellbeing of women, and healthcare access. Here are some suggestions or ideas:
- Preeclampsia among women
- Postpartum depression among women
- Diabetes management during pregnancy
- Addressing mental health among pregnant women in rural areas
- Smoking and pregnancy
- Infant mortality and preterm birth among African American women
- Teenage pregnancy
- Preventing pregnant women from Zika Virus
- The link between HPV and cervical cancer
- Mammography to detect breast cancers in women
- Gestational diabetes management
- Birth control approach among women
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Breast pumps and breastfeeding
- Using codeine and tramadol products in breastfeeding women
- Nutritional management during pregnancy
- Management of endometriosis
- Emergency contraception/ birth control
- Female genital mutilation and sexual health of women
- Impacts of fibroids on women
- Menopause in women
- Breastfeeding, work, and women of low socio-economic status
- Normal versus cesarean births
- Epidural in induced births
- Pelvic floor issues in women
- Constipation after cesarean surgery
- Urine incontinence in women
- Uterine cancer and fibroids in women
- Postmenstrual syndrome and hormonal changes
- Factors that influence the decision to breastfeed
- Use of supplements when breastfeeding
- Exclusive breastfeeding and immune levels of children
Nursing Informatics Capstone Project Ideas
- HITECH Legislation and Electronic Medical Records in healthcare
- Data governance in healthcare settings
- Impacts of a healthcare data breach
- Use of Healthcare Information Technology to support evidence-based practice in nursing
- Importance of clinical support decision making systems
- The use of technology to bridge the nurse shortage gaps in rural areas
- Electronic health records in healthcare
- Nurse informatics competencies
- Meaningful use and HIT
- Health Information as a strategic resource in the Australian settings
- The Impact of Nursing Informatics on Patient Outcomes and Patient Care Efficiencies
- Healthcare management information system
- Collaborative decision making through shared governance in healthcare
- Ethics and data management in healthcare
- The use of big data in healthcare settings
- Robotics in surgery
- The use of electronic health records to offer patient-centered care
- Assisting recovering centers
- Role of nursing informatics in quality improvement
- E-learning as a professional development approach among nurses
- Developing digital literacies for nursing school students
- Barriers to competency development in nursing informatics
- Integrating health informatics to nursing education
- The use of smartphones in inpatient management and education
- The use of simulation for nursing students
- Adoption of transformative technology such as CDSS in clinical settings
- The use of big data in clinical research
- Use of electronic medical records in acute care
- Significance of mHealth apps on mental health care access by rural populations
- Nursing Faculty Perceptions on the Use of Computer-Based Virtual Simulation in an Associate Degree Nursing Program
General Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
- Patient Portal Underutilization influence by Ethnically and Low Income
- Reducing associated ventilator infections in hospitalized patients.
- Integration of healthcare systems
- The importance of taking the health history
- A disease common with the aged population
- Strategies to ensure healthy aging
- The use of music therapy to increase expressive language skills with increasing verbalizations or echolalia in limited verbal school-age children with autism spectrum disorder
- Employee-based health insurance
- Relationship between patient care and ability to pay
- Levels of evidence in nursing
- Legal and professional requirements for nursing progress notes
- Does pre-hospital rapid cooling of MDMA overdose improve clinical outcomes?
- Implementing the IOM future of nursing
- Impacts of organizational culture on the implementation of Evidence-Based Practice (EBP)
- Affordable care for all Americans- Revisiting the legislations
- Addressing healthcare disparity in the US
- Racial discrimination in healthcare delivery in the US
- Macro trends affecting the US healthcare system
- The attitude of Saudi Arabians toward their healthcare system
- Transforming from student nurse to registered nurse
- Patient advocacy and advanced practice
- The use of chlorhexidine to reduce hospital-acquired infections
- Improving the Process of Preventative Care in HMO Organizations for Better Outcomes
- Impact of leadership on health management
- Examining the Mental Health of Veterans
- Associate Degree Nurses Perceptions on Motivators and Barriers to Return to School for a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nursing
- Managing Complex Adaptive Healthcare Organisations (using the Theoretical Domain Framework - TDF)
Managed Nursing Care Topic Ideas for Dissertations, Term Papers, and Nursing Essays
- Identify the principal factors that determine what form and structure managed care organizations assume and how these factors influence plan design.
- Recognize the main aspects, features, and characteristics of health plans and how these components have changed over time.
- Forgoing treatment at end of life: Pediatric Euthanasia
- Recognize the range of health plans from the perspective of a continuum that moves through key variables as relative points of comparison from plan to plan.
- Recall the types of health maintenance organizations (HMOs) that served as models for other forms of managed care organizations (MCOs) and predicted their future.
- Understand the fundamental principle behind all managed care health plans that balance cost and control.
- Know the general definition of Integrated Delivery Systems that can apply to various forms of IDSs.
- Describe the various types of Medicare Advantage plans both those that are quite popular and those that are less so.
- Identify the requirements managed care organizations must have in order to qualify for offering Medicare Advantage plans.
- Know what are core results managed care organizations, physicians, and health care organizations can expect from the effective operations of disease management
- Learn what connects consumerism, network development, and contract negotiation as major themes in managed care.
- Describe the social and economic factors and conditions that strongly promoted the rise of integrated delivery systems in this country.
- Recall the design and structure of such systems and how they function and operate comparing traditional delivery systems with today's approaches.
- Describe the various types of integrated delivery systems for physicians and hospitals/health systems.
- Learn why member service represents such a strong response to consumerism both in health care delivery and administrative services.
- Explain the scope of services and general operations of customer interactive
- Understand the two factors of geography and competition as they relate to network
- Explain the four major areas of contract negotiation and why each if so critically important to managed care.
- Recognize the close connection these systems have with managed care and how these connections are mutually beneficial.
- Understand the impact the Accountable Care Act will be having on IntegratedDelivery Systems.
- Identify the strategies used by managed care organizations to create effective physician change.
- Understand the principle formula of cost and how that impacts the various areas of quality in health care delivery.
- Share what are the case management guidelines frequently applied by the managed care industry in this quality-driven strategy.
- Recall the origins of disease management and the importance of population health, evidence-based medicine, and managed care alignment in its development.
- Identify the major components of disease management and how they operate using its fundamental definition to form this discussion.
- Describe the four major roles and functions of primary care physicians as understood by managed care organizations.
- Learn what are the three major focuses all utilization management programs have.
- Know the differences between utilization management in the past with what it means today and its current conceptual framework.
- Learn the definition of quality based upon the 2003 definition from the Committee on Quality of Health Care in America.
- Compare the descriptions of quality developed by Donabedian in the 1970s with what today's managed care industry understands it to be.
- Know what represents case management and what are its core goals.
- Identify what is the case management six-step process that is commonly used by managed care organizations.
- Understand the many changes that have happened to the original Medicare program due to legislation and regulation.
- Understand the concept of consumerism and what are the two major rationales for this concept.
- Describe what consumer-directed health plans are and how they relate to the broader category of managed care plans.
- Understand the essential value and need that information technology has for the managed care industry.
- Identify the key areas in which MCOs use information technology to achieve their major goals and strategies. Identify what are the drivers for both.
- Recall how managed care companies create their primary care networks and what represents key strategies in that development.
- Identify the core functions of physician credentialing, contracting, and network
- Explain what are the core content areas and strategies MCOs use for network
- Understand both the barriers and challenges faced by Medicaid as it tries to achieve its goal of covering uninsured Americans.
- Explain what Medicaid waivers are and what are the four most common types of waivers today.
- Describe the five areas that represent the most important arenas for applying information technology in managed care organizations.
- Identify the four initiatives common for information technology related to managed care organizations.
- Describe what is the foundational information technology system and why it is so central to the operations of MCOs.
- Explain the purpose and function of benefits configuration and employer group and member enrollment.
- Share what are the social norms operating with physicians and how best to change these norms to improve physician behavior.
- Describe what are the major barriers to changing physician behavior.
- Explain the purpose and function of premium management, provider enrollment contracting-credentialing, and claims payment.
- Explain the purpose and function of electronic data exchange, document imaging and workflow, and customer services.
- Explain the purpose and function of medical management and data warehousing.
- Share what connects Medicare, Medicaid, and employers together as it related to managed care.
- Describe what are similar agenda items for these three purchasers and what are differences they have regarding their agendas with managed care.
- Explain what has been happening to Medicare over the past 10 years that has significantly impacted it.
- Learn the ten significant characteristics of disease management programs.
- Describe the major benefits of disease management in a managed care environment for providers, insurance plans, and for the patients themselves.
- Share the major challenges facing disease management programs, as well as what are the incentives to promote DM.
- Describe what is the business plan component for disease management
- Identify what makes effective Medicaid plans citing the nine characteristics that are needed to do this.
- Describe how managed care organizations address the needs of employers in terms of grouping them.
Emergency Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
If you are interested in emergency nursing, here are some critical topics and research project ideas you can use in your emergency nursing capstone project.
- Trauma-informed care for people presenting to the ED with mental issues
- Impacts of educating ED nurses about trauma-informed care for people presenting with mental health issues
- How to prevent overcrowding in the emergency departments
- Impacts of overcrowding in the hospital emergency departments
- Healthcare quality in the ED of hospitals
- Factors affecting patient flow in the ED
- Use of mobile applications to improve emergency response procedures
- How to reduce the emergency department stays for patients
- Emergency departments as the primary points of entry into healthcare
- Role of Emergency Departments in the care continuum management
- Addressing COVID-19 in the emergency departments during the pandemic
- Reorganizing Emergency Departments to address disasters and pandemics
- Trends in Emergency Department Visits and Hospital admissions during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Responsibilities of an Emergency room Nurse
- Patient classification systems in the Emergency Department settings
- Role of Emergency Nurses in Emergency Preparedness
- Role of emergency nurses in the management of chemotherapy-related complications
- Medication knowledge and willingness to nurse-initiate medications in an emergency department
- Addressing the Nurse Shortage to Improve the Quality of Patient Care in Emergency Departments
- Factors leading to the length of stay and boarding inpatients
- Infection control in the emergency departments
- Education to improve staff competence in the ED
- Interdisciplinary collaboration and open communication among ED nurses
- Incentive programs for the ED nurses
- Ergonomics and facility design of Eds
- Implementation of technology to improve patient care in ED
- Nursing Workforce Issues and Trends Affecting Emergency Departments
- Assessment and risk classification protocol for patients in emergency units
- Attitudes of emergency nurses in caring for older patients at an emergency department
- Use of Pediatric Telemedicine in the Emergency Departments
- Pediatric medication safety in the Emergency departments
- Use of MRI and CT in Paediatric emergency departments
- The efficacy of enema solutions in Paediatric Emergency Departments
- How student nurses view the emergency departments
- Utilizing six sigma in the emergency departments
- Lean thinking in the emergency departments
- Assessment tools for nursing workload in the emergency departments
- Violence in the Emergency Departments
- Role of ED nurses in patient advocacy and policy formulation
- Factors leading to frequent use of Emergency departments
- Incidence and Prevalence of burnout among emergency nurses
- Role of freestanding emergency departments in healthcare
- Do freestanding emergency departments alleviate congestion in hospital-based Eds?
- Freestanding Emergency departments and Medicare Costs
- Barriers to implementation of Telemedicine in Rural Emergency Departments
- Rehospitalization rates between rural and urban Emergency Departments
- Use of tele-emergency to reduce transfers on rural emergency departments
- Barriers to point-of-care ultrasound scans in rural Emergency Departments
- Impacts of decreased nursing staffing in Emergency Departments on throughput metrics
- Impacts of Point-of-care testing in the overcrowded emergency department
- Safe staffing for nursing in emergency departments
- Effects of mandated nurse-patient ratios on patient wait time and care time in the emergency department
- Hospital Strategies for Reducing Emergency Department Crowding
Capstone Project Topics on Nursing Burnout
Nurses are the most important cog in the wheel of healthcare. If you are passionate about administrative or human resources management in nursing, you can select these nurse burnout topic ideas for your capstone. Whether you are writing an MSN, BSN, or DNP capstone project, these topics are suitable. Remember to select an idea that interests you, one which can lead to your specialization.
- Causes and consequences of pediatric nurse burnout
- Predictors of nursing burnout in ED
- Occupational, psychological, and physical impacts of nursing burnout
- Prevalence of burnout among psychiatric nurses
- Burnout and the attrition rate among nurses
- Burnout syndrome in psychiatric oncology nurses
- Burnout in the Gastroenterology unit nurses
- Impacts of increasing patients on burnout among critical care nurses
- Burnout among the NICU nurses
- Work and Health Correlates of Sleep Quantity and Quality Among Correctional Nurses
- What is the effect of a stress-reduction intervention on correctional nurses work-related quality of life
- Burn out syndrome among medical interns
- Coping strategies for nurses experiencing burnout
- The link between workload and burnout among nurses
- Burnout Syndrome in Paediatric Nurses
- Prevalence of burnout, depression, anxiety, and stress in Australian midwives
- The Impact of Personal Religious and Spiritual Beliefs on the Mental Well-Being and Burnout of nurses
- Nursing burnout and quality of care
- Impacts of 1x1 meetings on nurse burnout
- The link between nurse burnout and patient satisfaction
- Strategies to prevent burnout syndrome among nurses
- How to assess burnout among nurses
- Can AI be used to assess burnout among nurses?
- Role of job shadowing and rotation in solving burnout among nurses
- Yoga as a self-care approach and strategy to prevent burnout
- Snack and Relax a strategy to address nurses' professional quality of life
- Effect of communication skills training on the burnout of nurses
- A brief mindfulness-based stress reduction intervention for nurses and nurse aides
- Effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral interventions in reducing occupational stress among nurses
- Impacts of nurse leader mindfulness meditation program in stress management
- Effects of the professional identity development program on the professional identity, job satisfaction, and burnout levels of nurses
- Impact of a meaning-centered intervention on job satisfaction and quality of life among palliative care nurses.
- Development and application of an overcoming compassion fatigue program for emergency nurses
- Impacts of support groups and coping to reduce nurse burnout
- Mindfulness training and burnout prevention among oncology nurses
- Passage meditation reduces perceived stress in nurses
- Explore Role of the Nursing Manager During a shortage of Nursing Staff in Elderly care home
- Exploring the role of Nurses antimicrobial stewardship programme in reducing antibiotics misuse and antimicrobial resistance
- Plagiarism checker Do The Check
- Academic editing Ask For Help
- Samples database View Samples Base
Best Topics For A Nursing Capstone Project
08 Apr 2022
❔What is the Nursing Capstone Project?
- Health Promotion
- Mental Health
- Nursing Burnout
- Women’s Health
- Patient Falls
- Medical Surgery
- Nursing Informatics
👍Need Nursing Capstone Project Help?
Is it time for your nursing capstone project ideas? If your answer is yes, it means you’ve reached an exciting time in your life. It’s time to finish your education as a nursing student and begin your career. These papers serve to demonstrate what you've learned at school and allow you to put that knowledge into practice. However, choosing the perfect topic for your task is not easy. This guide can help to look for inspiration as it presents 150 capstone project ideas in different categories. You can start by picking the area that attracts you the most. From there, browse the topics and find the perfect one for your paper! All of these capstone project topics are popular and common, and they have been the first choice of us many. You can easily find creative nursing projects ideas and start with your academic paper in no time and yes, get the grade you deserve.
Need help with writing capstone project?
Get your paper written by a professional writer
What is the Nursing Capstone Project?
Nursing students will attend a suitable course or program for their future occupation. However, towards the end of their studies, they have to write a capstone project about the features of medical care in order to get a Bachelor of Science in Nursing or MSN (Master of Science in Nursing). This is actually a paper that’s not much different from academic assignments at other universities and colleges.
So, what is a nursing capstone project, and how should you do it? You have the freedom to choose a topic, but make sure to consult with your tutor. That means your topic might come from informatics, women’s health, or any other area of interest. The idea is to answer a question or a problem and show a deep understanding of your capstone project idea.
Your capstone project topic will require carrying out independent research and presenting a detailed analysis of the issue. The paper can be anywhere between 25 and 100 pages, as long as it offers a comprehensive answer to the proposed topic.
Here is why tutors insist on working on this paper:
- You are demonstrating what you have learned. The crucial benefit of working on these project ideas is to showcase your knowledge. This paper shows you can apply theories and frameworks with professional practice.
- Enhancing professional development. Identifying the right ideas and working on them will further upgrade your knowledge.
- You might find a special interest in a particular area. You might discover the category where you want to specialize during your career.
- You are learning more about the community and its problems. You’ll understand the community better, and you might even help to design strategies to improve it.
You may also need to choose nursing research topics 2022 while studying. It can be fun to choose from the nursing leadership project ideas and work on this capstone paper. However, some students don’t have enough time on their hands to complete the task. If that’s the case, you can always contact a premium writing service to help you finish the assignment. They can turn your nursing capstone project idea into reality and ensure you deliver a superb paper in the expected timeframe.
Stuck with finding the right title?
Get plenty of fresh and catchy topic ideas and pick the perfect one with PapersOwl Title Generator.
If you are ready to start working on your project, look for inspiration in the ideas below!
Before you proceed, there are a few more things you need to know. All, including emergency nursing capstone project ideas, are essential and capstone project ideas nursing have a huge role on the overall process. They can be long, up to 100 pages, so you can deduce that a BSN nursing capstone will need a lot of time to be completed. With proper nursing project ideas, this can be a bit easier, but it is still a complex matter. A nursing capstone can be based on nurse leadership, health care, cervical cancer, quality of life, standardized fall risk assessment tool, and so much more. But, it will always assess what you have learned and how well you have adopted the facts. That's why capstone nursing is considered one of the health history most essential types of writing and one that can make a massive difference. There are countless nursing capstone ideas and capstone projects you will have to complete. Each one shares the overall essentials and importance. Try to make your nursing capstone projects based on your own experience and your own learning. We will give you a lot of examples, and some are based in rural areas, which makes this a bit more complicated. Just imagine having to write on psychological rehabilitation readiness assessment. It is not simple in nursing, and these projects will require days of preparation.
Last but not least, always have a lot of time to focus and develop your nursing capstone project ideas. The nursing informatics capstone project ideas are even more time-consuming, while the oncology nursing capstone project ideas are ethically hard to work on. Your nursing capstone project needs to be detailed, to the point, and includes all the facts your readers may need to know. There will be a lot of them. Hence, you do need a lot of preparation. A BSN capstone of this kind may need 2-3 weeks to be completed. Yes, you can complete some like mental health issues, gestational diabetes, nursing informatics, or domestic violence effects in less time, but this is not a wise idea. These topics have a lot of importance. Hence, they need practical work experience to be understood.
Build your thesis statement
This is AI-powered online tool that lets you create a thesis statement about any topic you need.
- Simple interface
- Works with any type of paper
- Absolutely free
- Unlimited attempts
General Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
If you need general inspiration for your nursing capstone project, here are some suggestions. As you can see, these are all about nursing training, nurse leadership, and more generic nursing capstone ideas. Don't let this fool you. These are complicated and very essential ideas that are the most common, so you will probably have to work on one or two in your life. Some even claim that these are the most important nursing capstone projects.
- How to Become a Registered Nurse After Being a Student
- How HMO Organizations Can Improve Preventive Care to Enhance Patient Outcomes
- Health History and Why It’s Crucial to Patient Care
- How Macro Trends Affect the US and UK Healthcare
- The Connection between Patients Paying Ability and Care Level They Receive
- How Leadership Affects Healthcare Service Providers
- The Importance of Leaders in Education
- What Qualities Should a Nurse Leader Have?
- How Nurse Inclusion and Engagement Can Affect Patient Outcome
- How Nurse Engagement in Treating Patients Can Affect Their Mental Health
- Nurses and Ethical Practices
- Managing Stress for Nurses
- How Nurse Organizations Can Improve
- How to Make More Affordable Care for All Americans
- Attitudes to Healthcare Systems in Different Cultures
Health Promotion Nursing Capstone Project Topics
Working on health promotion can be important for the community. You can talk about health insurance, nursing practice, improving nursing and more. Most teachers like these topics, and they believe these can make a difference in the local community. Here are some ideas to use for inspiration.
- Improving Brain Health Programs with a Limited Budget
- Managing Depression Among Nurses to Improve Health Services
- Improving Awareness and Preventing Cyberbullying
- Promoting Awareness on How to Prevent HIV
- Increasing COVID19 Vaccine Importance Awareness
- How Smoking Affects Passive Smokers
- Promoting Youth Activity
- Seniors and Preventive Practices
- Nutrition Management for Elderly Patients in Nursing Homes
- Managing Nutrition for Patients with a High Diabetes Risk
- Reducing Depression in Elder Adults
- Increasing Motivation to Improve Physical Activity Among Youth People
- Improving Awareness of Heart Disease Risk Factors
- Promoting the Importance of Healthy Eating Habits
- Increasing the Knowledge on How UV Radiations and Skin Cancer Are Related
Nursing Capstone Project Ideas for Mental Health
People have prejudice about mental health, but it’s important to discuss the issues surrounding it. You may have to write about PTSD-affected veterans, different mental problems, and so much more. Here you may have to touch private and public hospitals, while the link is not that massive. Don't forget about attitude and knowledge that have a huge role in all of that and how practicing professional nursing can make a difference. Patient outcomes are important as well. Be careful when working on adolescents' mental health scales the best topics. These are the topics that may help you to come up with nursing project ideas:
- How Sexual Abuse Affects Children’s Mental Health
- Can Art Therapy Help to Improve Mental Health
- How to Offer Mental Health Services to Deaf Users
- Teenage Suicide Rates and How to Prevent Them
- Domestic Violence and Its Influence on Children
- How Yoga Can Help to Improve and Maintain Mental Health
- How to Adapt Mental Health Programs to Different Cultures
- Using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Treat Psychiatric Patients
- Can Giving Up Smoking Affect Mental Health?
- Improving Education on Providing Services to Mentally ill Patients
- Autonomous Decision Making for Mentally Ill Patients
- Addressing Mental Health Stigmas for Patients and Their Close Ones
- Can Homelessness Worsen Mental Health Problems?
- How to Manage PTSD Among Veterans
- The Access to Mental Health Services for a Specific Population Group
Capstone Project Topics on Nursing Burnout
Burnout is a problem in many workplaces, but it can have serious consequences in hospital surroundings. These capstone projects are becoming more and more common, and they affect nursing education, leadership skills, and so much more. Many of the nursing leadership capstone project ideas are severe and complicated. If writing a project, consider these ideas:
- How to Recognize and Stop Nurse Burnout Early
- Nurse Burnout Statistics – Detailed City and Town Comparison in Your Area
- How Group Therapy Affects Nurse Burnout
- Mindfulness and Other Techniques That Help to Prevent a Burnout
- Can Training Communication Skills Help with Nurse Burnout?
- Methods for Recognizing and Assessing the Level of Nurse Burnout
- A Detailed Analysis of Burnout Causes in Pediatric Nurses
- The Specifics of the Burnout Syndrome in Oncology Nurses
- Can You Predict a Burnout and What Are the Main Signs?
- Can Workplace Sabotage or Bullying Lead to a Nurse Burnout?
- How Nurse Burnout Can Affect the Safety of Patients
- How Different Countries Approach Nurse Burnout Issue
- Using Management Techniques to Prevent and deal with Nurse Burnout
- Can Medical Universities Help Students to Avoid a Nurse Burnout
- What Are the Coping Strategies When You Experience a Burnout
Don't let plagiarism ruin your grade
Check the originality of a paper with just a couple of clicks.
- Free unlimited checks
- Accurate results
- All common file formats
- Intuitive interface
Women’s Health Capstone Project Ideas
Many topics are specific to women’s health, such as those related to pregnancy and menopause. Capstone ideas may touch on effective nursing leadership styles, nursing leadership, and even multifactorial fall risk assessment. Here are some ideas to use:
- Understanding and Dealing with Menopause
- How Smoking Can Affect Pregnant Women and Their Babies
- Induced Births and Epidural
- Explaining Breast Pumps and Their Benefits and Drawbacks
- How to Choose Whether a Woman Should Breastfeed
- Different Birth Control Approaches Among Women
- Improving Healthcare Services for Women with Breast Cancer
- Pre-term Birth and Infant Mortality in African American Females
- Nutritional Guidelines for Pregnant Women
- How Women of Different Socio-Economic Status Approach to Working After Birth
- How to Manage Pelvic Floor Issues
- The Role of Nurses in Preventing and Managing Postpartum Depression in Female Patients
- How to Manage Diabetes During Pregnancy
- Women Health and Female Genital Mutilation
- Treating Breastfeeding Women with Codeine Products
Pediatric Nursing Capstone Project Topics
Providing top-quality care to children is imperative for healthcare facilities. If writing a project on this topic, these are the ideas to use:
- Sleep Apnea in Children
- Managing Service Quality and Cost in Private Pediatric Healthcare Facilities
- Comparing UK and US Approaches to Pediatric Care
- How to Recognize Children That Were Abused Sexually
- Dealing with a Child Who Has a Terminal Disease
- How Losing a Child Patients Affects the Hospital Staff
- Can Divorce Worsen Pre-Existing Conditions in Kids?
- How to Make Pediatric Care More Available to Children from Unprivileged Communities
- Abuse Victims in Children and Medical Concerns
- Kids Who Developed Measles and Complications to Consider
- Preventing Meningitis in Children
- Understanding and Treating Children Movement Disorders
- Meditation and Other Techniques to Help Children in Autism
- Preventing Kidney Stones in Children
- Improving Healthcare Services for Children with Cancer
Patient Falls Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Falls present a huge risk, especially for elderly patients. These are the topics you can choose in this category:
- Preventing and Reducing Falls Among Elderly Patients in Long-Term Care
- Assessing the Home Environment to Reduce Patient Fall Risk
- Educating Nurses on Patient Safety and Reducing Fall Frequency
- Managing Fall Risk in Osteoporosis Patients
- What Can Hospital Leadership Do to Reduce Patient Falls?
- Adjusting Hospital Settings to Minimize Fall Risk
- Analyzing Patient Fall Rates in Healthcare Settings
- Which Patients Have the Highest Fall Risk?
- Using Cameras to Minimize and Reduce Fall Injury Risk Among Patients
- How Healthcare Facility Design Can Reduce Patient Falls
- Using Technology to Prevent Patient Falls
- Improving Nurse Knowledge on Elderly Patient Falls
- Using Exercises to Reduce Fall Risks in Elderly Patients
- Increasing Patient Awareness on Safety Activities That Can Reduce Fall Risks
- Risks in Healthcare Physical Environment That Increase Patient Fall Risk
Emergency Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Your project can focus on the emergency departments in healthcare facilities. These topics could be interesting:
- Strategies to Reduce Crowding of Emergency Departments in Hospitals
- Costs and Benefits of Freestanding Emergency Departments
- The Potential of Tele-Emergency in Rural Areas
- Statistics on How Nurse Shortage Affects Emergency Departments
- Emergency Nurses and Burnout – Frequency and How to Avoid It
- Managing Violence in Emergency Rooms
- Safety of Pediatric Medications in Emergency Departments
- How Emergency Department Design Can Affect Quality of Service
- Managing Infections in the ER
- Emergency Department Nurses – Incentive Programs
- Decreasing the Duration of Patient Stay in the ED
- Quality of Healthcare in Emergency Departments
- Treating Patients with Mental Health Issues in Emergency Departments
- Administering Medicines Nasally in EDs
- Preparing ED Staff for Terrorist Attacks and Other Extreme Situations
Catch plagiarism before your teacher does
Check your paper against billions of web pages and publications. Get an accurate plagiarism report in a few seconds. It's fast, easy & free!
Medical Surgery Capstone Project Ideas
We can see all types of surgeries performed daily throughout the world. This category is vast, and these are only some suggestions to use:
- A Detailed Overview of Treating and Managing Wounds
- Nurse Involvement in Post-Surgery Patient Care
- Anaesthetists and Burnout
- How to Ensure Gastrointestinal Surgery Minimally Invasive
- A Detailed Overview of Refractive and Cataract Surgery
- Roles of ICU Nurses in Medical Surgery
- Comparing Minor and Major Surgeries
- The Importance of Nurses in OT
- General Anesthesia – Details and Complications
- Phases of Surgery
- Surgical Asepsis Overview
- How to Enhance Safety in Operating Rooms
- Neurogenic Shock and Surgical Interventions
- Diabetic Foot Treatment and Care
- Preventing Intraoperative Hypothermia with Thermal Heating
Nursing Informatics Capstone Project Ideas
Technology improved the healthcare industry. These are the suggestions if you want to focus on informatics in your project:
- Data Management and Ethics in the Healthcare Industry
- Managing Data in Healthcare Facilities
- How to Use Robotics in Surgery
- Nursing Informatics and Data Security
- How Mobile Health Apps Can Improve Healthcare in Rural Areas
- Using Electronic Medical Records in Acute Patient Care
- Analyzing Controversy in Nurse Informatics
- Applying Technology in Training Professional Nurses
- How Technology Can Help to Deal with Nurse Shortage in Rural Areas
- Ways to Upgrade the Information System in Hospitals
- Improving Data Security for Critical Care Patients
- The Importance of Investing in Nurse Informatics
- The Potential of E-Learning Simulations for Medical Training
- Data Breaches in Healthcare and Their Impact
- Techniques to Prevent Data Breaches in Medical Facilities
Need Nursing Capstone Project Help?
No matter how good you are in medicine, sometimes you may simply not have enough time to write a project. It happens to everyone. Or you can be too busy to prepare capstone project ideas for nursing or pediatric papers. In such moments, you should ask for help from a reliable capstone project writing service by PapersOwl. We are always ready to help our clients in any difficult situation and at any time. Don’t ever hesitate to ask for help from professional writers! We have extensive experience and years of honing our professional skills. Entrust your papers to us and get a custom project that guarantees you a satisfying result.
You will get a capstone course or patient falls nursing capstone project, an essay on outpatient fall risk assessment tools, or even deaf service users outcome measures written by experts who know what they are doing. We can help you with the Morse fall risk scale, nurse leaders, patient falls, and any capstone element you have on your mind or have to write for your own purpose. Some of these will be written by actual nurses. If you want to, you can deduce the outcome, which is always stunning.
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.
I am Dr. Paulus, an experienced academic writer. I am efficient, hardworking, and very flexible. As a student, I majored in History and Management but will be more than happy to work on any other subject. I write everything from scratch and do a unique research for every project.
Readers also enjoyed
The best 150 capstone project topic ideas.
Capstone Project Writing Guides 182 likes
What Is A Capstone Project?
Capstone Project Writing Guides 98 likes
How To Write A Capstone Project Outline: Steps and Example
Capstone Project Writing Guides 13 likes
WHY WAIT? PLACE AN ORDER RIGHT NOW!
Simply fill out the form, click the button, and have no worries!
Client Login its your first time? Order Now
- You are here:
Why a Capstone Project is Important for Nursing Students
A capstone project helps one t cap their student experiences. For instance, the community project stated above, the students can draw on their learning in classrooms, clinical experiences, and studies and apply them properly to a context that is larger and can impact on many people in the community. While working with communities, students further develop their leadership and communication skills. The capstone project, therefore, enables them to develop a relationship with the community that is both sustainable and collaborative to address the health issues at hand.
A capstone project also helps the nursing students to identify community needs that need urgent attention. It gives them the opportunity to review the health trends of a given locality or among a specific age bracket and focus their efforts on possible solutions to save the generation. For instance, if in their studies, students find that the elderly are the most affected with a specific disease, they might launch a campaign that creates awareness of the disease among everyone.
When students write capstone projects that give them an opportunity to work directly with communities, they are able to develop strong partnerships not only between their institutions and the community, but also between themselves and the communities. These relationships are always mutually beneficial. Furthermore, most of the nursing capstone projects will involve students working closely with hospitals and their staffs and can find out some of the challenges that health care givers face. What this means is that with their capstone projects, the students will be able to offer solutions on what need to be done to make the caregivers feel their services are appreciated.
Writing a capstone project needs a lot of dedication and patience. What most nursing students find difficult to do is to come up with a topic that will offer a solution that the communities need urgently. At NursingWritingServices.com, we advise students on how they should go about writing good capstone projects. You don’t have to get stuck when you can get in touch with us. if you need a nursing capstone project paper written, our team can help you write a professional one.
- How It Works
- Write my homework
- Sociology assignments
- Excel homework
- Online exam help
- Take my online class
- Online test help
- Java homework
- Hire a nerd
- Python homework
- Science homework
- C++ homework
- Case study assignment
- Matlab homework
- Math assignments
- Algebra homework
- Geometry homework
- Chemistry assignments
- Physics assignments
- Statistics homework
- Programming Assignment
- Linguistics assignments
- History assignments
- Economics assignments
- Accounting homework
- Computer science assignments
- English assignments
- Finance assignments
- Homework answers
- Biology assignments
- Homework tips
- Buy assignment
- Do my homework for money
- Solve my homework
- Assignment writer
- College homework help
- Academic subjects
- Nursing assignment
- Psychology homework
- Literature assignment
- Trigonometry homework
- Marketing assignment
- Engineering assignment
- Business homework
- Calculus homework
- Law assignment
- Assignment writing service
- Discussion board post
- Best homework help websites
80 Impressive Nursing Capstone Project Ideas For A+
What is a nursing capstone? It refers to an academic paper that uses experiments, facts, and practical work experience to better the professional skills of nursing students. Through this assignment, students are required to develop a research project on a topic of their choice within a healthcare environment.
How To Write Nursing Capstone Projects Ideas
Just like any other essay or research paper topic, a nursing capstone project idea should meet the following requirements:
- It should offer a solution to a pertinent problem in the society
- It should portray your understanding of the field of nursing
- It should interest the readership at large
Below is a list of nursing capstone topics for your inspiration. Enjoy!
Noteworthy Capstone Project Ideas For Nursing
- How to manage the Cushing Syndrome disease
- Specialized ways of performing the insulin therapy for children
- What causes the immunodeficiency disorder and how to control it
- Is X-ray care causing more harm than good?
- Technological innovations in Dermatitis management
- Are Diabetic patients able to beat coronavirus?
- What causes high blood pressure among ageing people?
Excellent Nursing Capstone Project Ideas BSN
- The role of physiotherapy knowledge for the aged
- How simulation in nursing classrooms is impacting students
- Should undergraduate nurses perform critical care services?
- How to improve the number of male students pursuing nursing
- Are nursing colleges offering the best curriculum in 2022?
- The effectiveness of health care intervention tools for developing countries
- How to make nursing Programmes more student-oriented
Latest Nursing Capstone Projects Ideas
- Best breastfeeding Programmes for improving infant health.
- Are nurses performing their functions appropriately?
- Challenges encountered during nursing staffing and promotion
- How nurses can cope with fatigue
- The role of the government in improving nursing working conditions
- Are patient visitations endangering lives?
- How COVID-19 has remodeled the nursing career
Examples of Capstone Projects For Nursing
- How to integrate healthcare systems for better efficiency
- How is the study of health history?
- What diseases are common with teens?
- The role of health insurance companies
- Best physiotherapy care for the ageing
- How to deal with problems arising from wrong patient diagnosis
Capstone Nursing Ideas For Professionals
- Evaluate the performance of an undergraduate nursing intern
- How to calculate doses for better efficiency
- The effectiveness of robots in the nursing profession
- Innovative ways of recycling gloves and syringes
- How to prevent infections in nursing work stations
- Barriers to proper drug prescription
Creative Nursing Projects Ideas
- How to make nurses better resource managers
- Gaps in the nursing curriculum of 2020
- Using technology to the advantage of patients
- How long should a nurse rest before resuming duty?
- Impact of night shifts to a nurse’s efficiency
- A review of the cause of obesity among females
- A study on the latest coronavirus vaccines
Nursing Leadership Project Ideas
- Legal and ethical considerations among nurse leaders
- How does the nursing leadership impact patients?
- The role of female nurse leadership
- How is nursing leadership different from other forms of leadership?
- Courses that offer substantive clinical leadership skills
- Relevance of nursing leadership theories
- How nurse leaders can help in facilitating development projects
- The role of nurses’ associations in championing for better healthcare
Nursing Capstone Projects Examples For Undergraduates
- How to properly manage cancer patients
- Prevention of accidents and hazards in the nursing profession
- Compare and contrast between home-based care and hospital based care
- Strategies for dealing with patients who refuse to open up
- How to build a compatible nurse-patient relationship at first sight
- Caring for the physically handicapped
- Ways of handling patients with psychological disorders
- Making the nursing career an enjoyable profession
Senior Project Topics on Nursing
- Effects of having male nurses in female wards
- Standard operating procedures for conducting ward rounds
- How a nurse’s attitude and knowledge affects his/her effectiveness
- A comparison between medical care in private and public hospitals
- Evacuation procedures in case of a fire in the hospital
- The importance of introducing basic nursing concepts in high school
- How to reduce cases of depression and anxiety among nurses
- Defining the standard working hours of a nurse
Nursing Informatics Capstone Project Ideas
- How to make the best out of a biometric analysis
- The role of informatics for nursing practitioners
- How to upgrade nursing information systems without causing disruptions
- Better data security structures for patients in critical care
- Areas of interest in future nursing informatics investments
- The role of data research in improving healthcare systems
- How is technology shaping the nursing landscape?
- How to improve outpatient scheduling with ease
Nursing Practicum Project Ideas
- Managing occupational stress met by healthcare workers
- How can a nurse approach the dilemma of abortion?
- Better relapse prevention mechanisms for psychiatric patients
- A statistical overview of maternal health status in the US
- Practical ways of preventing and dealing with stomach ulcers
- Importance of health risk awareness Programmes
- Ways of motivating nurses in Emergency services
- How to fit into a new hospital work station after a transfer
If you are having difficulty with writing BSN nursing capstone project ideas, our cheap, quality medical writing help is all you need. See your college grades improve with our professional nursing capstone assistance.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
As Putin continues killing civilians, bombing kindergartens, and threatening WWIII, Ukraine fights for the world's peaceful future.
Home > Colleges & Schools > College of Nursing and Health Sciences > School of Nursing > NURSING_MSN
MSN Capstone Projects
Our nationally recognized Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program is grounded in a foundation of evidence-based practice and prepares our students to improve patient outcomes in the healthcare system. This collection allows MSN students to showcase their work as it relates to their selected role.
Submissions from 2022 2022
Implementing a Medication App for Transplant Recipients , Allison Arnold
Central line associated blood stream infection (CLABSI) Prevention through Designated-Nurse peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line Dressing Change , Belinder Atabongafac
The Use of Standardized Patients to Improve Communication Skills: A Benchmark Study , Baylee A. Azbell
Changing Hand-off Communication in the PACU setting , Alisa M. Berndt
Meeting the Needs of Gen Z Nurses to Improve Nurse Retention , Ronna M. Best
Reducing Suicide Reattempts with a Telephone Follow Up Program , Bailey Breaux
IRIS Nursing Strong Program: Benchmark Study , Sonia Bunyard and Keviesha Lacy
Regional Anesthesia in Outpatient Total Joint Arthroplasty , Laci Caesar
Supporting Nurse Residency Programs by Determining Nurse Residency Value , Byron Carlisle
Influencing Graduate Nurses through Authentic Leadership , John Cash
To use or not to use oxygen for MI Benchmark Study , Alexia Celaya
Retention Drivers Post-Pandemic , Maria Charles and Christina Gonzalez
A Whole-Food Plant Based Diet and its Effects on Cardiovascular Disease , Meredith A. Childress
Using Simulation to Develop Clinical Judgment in New-To-Practice Emergency Department Nurses: An Evidence-Based Benchmark Project , Moreno Divine Comiskey
Safe Patient Handling and Mobility Olympics , Johnny R. Cortez
Palliative Care in the ICU , Grace Cunningham
Dedicated Vascular Access Team Benchmark Study , Rachel Davis
Benchmark Project Cryotherapy to Prevent Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy , Stephanie Davis
Health Literacy in Acute Care Benchmark Study , Micah Duke
Polypharmacy Teaching in the Acute Setting , Brandy Marie Duncan
End-of-Life Simulation Education , Lucas Farris
Nurse Efficiency & Ultrasound Guided Intravenous Access: Evidence based intervention Benchmark , Jacob D. Frost
Change of Policy Regarding Evidence Based Practice Interventions in Postpartum Hemorrhages and Promotion of Standardization of Care , Danielle Fulton
The Impact of Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy on Alzheimer's Disease , Kelsey Hall
Impact of Critical Incident Debriefing on Nursing Stress, Burnout, and Retention , Ashlea Harper, Tonya Bloch, and Madison Cheney
Page 1 of 10
- Notify me via email or RSS
- Submit Research
- UT Tyler School of Nursing Graduate Programs
Home | About | FAQ | My Account | Accessibility Statement
- Business & Technology
- Nursing & Health Sciences
- Arts & Sciences
- International Students
- Payment Methods
- Tuition Rates
- Transfer Credits
- Articulation & Prior Learning Agreements
- Academic Calendar
- Order Official Transcripts
- Proctored Exams
- Programs In Teach-Out
- School Store
- Student Portal
- Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Technology Requirements
- Academic Catalog, Policy/Procedure Manual, & Program Handbooks
- Accreditation, Recognition and State Authorizations
- University History, Mission and Goals
- Altitude Blog
- Request Info
FAQs: MSN Capstone
Altitude » Our Community
We know pursuing your MSN can be stressful, and we get a lot of questions about the MSN Capstone. Don’t worry! Here’s everything you need to know.
What is a Capstone project?
The Capstone is an individualized research project on a nursing topic of your professional or personal interest. Capstones provide you the opportunity to demonstrate your competency and commitment to ultimately improving health outcomes. It’s something to be proud of!
MSN students in all 5 nursing specializations are required to complete a Capstone. You will carry it out in the 8-week project-based Nursing Capstone course, where you will be assigned to a Capstone instructor — a member of the Aspen faculty who holds expertise in your particular topic. You will need to complete the Practicum and all of the previous courses within the MSN curriculum to enroll in the Capstone course.
What is the Practicum?
The Practicum is a hands-on learning experience performed in a healthcare work setting under a preceptor’s supervision. It will heavily inform your Capstone. During this time, you will focus on an issue and create a viable solution through research.
The type of Practicum venue will depend on your MSN specialization, but options include hospitals, medical examiner’s office, public health department, clinical practice, and academic setting. You can use your workplace as a venue, but you must be off the clock and perform tasks outside your usual job description.
What’s the first step in writing my Capstone?
You will select a project topic that focuses on the quality improvement of a process, policy, or procedure. Then you will create a proposal or presentation focused on a specific issue and target audience.
- Design or develop a curriculum
- Use a shared governance model to increase nurse retention
- Implement and evaluate an educational activity, such as health education in schools
- Create a systematic review of the literature to support evidence-based change
- Design and implement a change project (e. g., a proposal for a change in process)
- Write a grant
- Develop a policy and work with leaders to implement it
- Analyze the healthcare system systematically in another geographic region
- Develop or revise an existing business or marketing plan within nursing or healthcare organization
- Advocate for legislative change for an issue important to nursing
- Design an informatics solution to a nursing problem
Students in Forensic Nursing , Nursing Education , and Public Health must have a patient care component to their project. That means the project must involve a patient population and demonstrate outcomes for them.
How do I choose my Capstone topic?
Ask yourself: .
- What do you want your professional practice to look like in 10 years?
- What are you passionate about?
- What did you learn during your Practicum?
- Is there a nursing issue that really sticks out in your mind?
Aspen alumni Phyllis D. (RN to MSN in Nursing Education) covered nurse bullying for her Capstone and submitted a manuscript for a peer-reviewed nursing magazine based on her research.
“I thought writing about it would help fellow nurses confront bullying activities and give additional resources so that supervisors are properly trained on spotting bullies,” she said.
Dr. Jeannie Randall, an Aspen instructor and Practicum Coordinator, emphasizes the impact students have on their communities with their Capstones and Practicum work. For example, she says one MSN student has had a significant influence on dental health for underserved pediatric patients in her community by working collaboratively with school health officials, nurses, dental, and other professionals.
Dr. Randall says another student has been focused on infectious disease prevention in a school setting. She’s been educating students on disease transmission and prevention for COVID, the flu, and other illnesses and has even impacted policy across her state.
Is it difficult to get approval for the Capstone topic?
Not at all. Our instructors ensure that. Since the Capstone relates to your Practicum, you’ll already have the foundation and knowledge for your topic once you’re in the Capstone course (N599). The main thing to keep in mind is that your topic should be focused on improving patient outcomes.
What’s the format for the Nursing Capstone?
Your Final Capstone Project submission must be free of typographical, spelling, and grammatical errors. It must also be formatted using American Psychological Association (APA) style , which will give your paper uniform formatting when it comes to citing sources and provide clarity and consistency to your complex nursing topic. Knowing how to write in APA style is also an overall useful skill for nurses and adds to your professional credibility.
What is expected of me for the Capstone oral presentation portion?
It should last around 30 minutes long, and you will present through video conferencing media. The presentation allows you to demonstrate your knowledge in the field and how you can effectively discuss your findings.
Who will see the Capstone oral presentation?
In addition to your instructor, Aspen faculty and administrative members may attend, along with others in your community who are interested in the topic and could be affected by your findings. The audience will also have the opportunity to ask questions about your work towards the end of your presentation.
We offer specializations across the nursing field and have a knowledgeable and supportive faculty who are here to help you. Want to learn more about Aspen? Check out our frequently asked questions here .
Find Your Program
Tell us about yourself, request your information.
Thank You for Your Interest
An Enrollment Advisor will contact you shortly to introduce you to Aspen University and help you understand the programs and payment options available.
You can also start the free application right now.
Get Started at Aspen University
Our Compentent and experienced experts will help you realize your writing dreams
- Enjoy Quality and Authentic Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Complete Confidentiality
- Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
What is a Nursing Capstone Project?
A nursing capstone project is usually a clinical requirement for nursing students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The project is considered a culminating assignment that is used to test knowledge and skills in nursing.
This makes nursing capstone project ideas quite critical.
Note that the nursing capstone project seeks to test the acquisition such skills as:
2. Critical thinking
3. Proper organization, and
4. Effective communication
Accordingly, just like in the case of a nursing thesis paper or nursing dissertation, you should seek to combine these skills when exhaustively studying a particular topic.
This demands that you explore different areas for viable nursing capstone ideas.
Some of such key areas may include sanitation standards, patient outcomes improvement, and effective communication in healthcare.
How to Approach a Nursing Capstone Project
It is important to understand the basic guidelines of a nursing capstone before going ahead to examine potential nursing capstone project ideas.
Note that depending on the institution or faculty, the project could assume the format of:
1. Policy memo,
2. Case study, or
3. Research piece
Irrespective of the format, one of the most important aspects of the nursing capstone project is the evidence-based practice approach.
Relying on scientific data is therefore particularly very critical when generating MSN education capstone ideas.
Just like the EBP analysis , writing a nursing research paper , or risk for nursing diagnosis , the nursing capstone project has to be based on experiential and research evidence to help resolve the entailed problem.
As such, you should structure your capstone project around evidence-based practice values.
This may require you to work closely with a practicing professional to come up with a suitable research proposal.
The process starts with finding the right nursing capstone project ideas.
Finding Appropriate Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Coming up suitable nursing capstone ideas is not always easy.
To most, it is challenging than it would be expected.
Particularly, a good number of students find it difficult to generate feasible MSN education capstone ideas.
However, with the right skills or guidance, finding good nursing capstone project ideas could easy and interesting.
This demands that you brainstorm on all the nursing themes you have come across in the course of your studies.
That said, deciding on the nursing capstone project ideas to explore is one of the most important steps when it comes to executing the project.
You could secure the ideas with the help of:
1. Your instructor
2. A practicing professional
Importantly, there are specific features that you should prioritize when choosing nursing capstone ideas, including:
1. It should be interesting to you.
2. It should be simple enough to be easily understood by nursing professionals.
3. It should be specific enough in its scope.
4. It should touch on current issues.
5. It should contribute something new to the existing body of knowledge.
Just like in the case of nursing research paper topics , nursing capstone project ideas could be derived from a multitude of areas.
For instance, oncology nursing capstone project ideas would primarily focus on oncology, that is, cancer treatment management.
Differently, emergency nursing capstone project ideas would look at areas related to patient treatment and management in the emergency room.
This said, common areas to consider for nursing capstone ideas may include:
2. Patient falls
3. Infections prevention in the clinical setting
4. Wound care
5. Behavioral health
6. Home transfer
7. Patient psychological assessment
8. Sleep disorders
9. Breastfeeding promotion
10. Community health promotion campaigns
Based on the above areas, you can proceed and find a more specific topic area that you are familiar with.
Per se, specific nursing capstone project ideas may include but not limited to the list below.
1. Supporting breastfeeding among young mothers as an approach towards healthy babies.
2. Approaches towards implementation of new patient data management systems.
3. The impact of race on healthcare access for African-American patients suffering from acute hypertension.
4. Approaches for continuous improvement of patient care and safety.
5. Development of policies that protect children from passive smoking.
6. Potential health risks that may arise from the prescription of opioids.
7. Implication of alcohol withdraw syndrome on effective rehabilitation.
8. Effective management and prevention of Lyme disease in rural areas.
9. The role of pre-procedure warming in mitigation of intraoperative hypothermia.
10. The effectiveness of silver dressings in the treatment of wounds.
11. Adoption of technology as a teaching tool in nursing training programs.
12. Approaches towards enhancement of efficient planning in emergency nursing scenarios.
13. Approaches for effective healthcare budget development and management.
14. Approaches towards enhancing the professional life of caregivers for homebound elderly patients.
15. Building care strategic plans that are patient-centered.
16. Need for change in the management approaches within the modern healthcare environment.
17. Effective management of fall risks among the elderly within healthcare facilities.
18. Enhancement of systems for patient complaints and their investigation.
19. Management of dementia among patients who are socially dysfunctional.
20. Effective methods for the treatment and management of HPV in low socioeconomic areas.
21. The effectiveness of prescription labelling using Spanish in enhancing proper medication dosage among patients.
22. Improvement of care programs for patients who are terminally ill.
23. Management of health campaigns aimed at behavior change as an approach towards management of STDs.
24. Methods for effective management of symptoms within a healthcare setting.
25. The impact of healthcare education in improvement of cervical cancer screening among the minorities.
26. Most effective approaches towards management of chemo treatment side effects among cancer patients.
27. Effectiveness in the monitoring of heart disease patients suffering from sleep apnea.
28. Best support approaches for patients with cancer.
29. The role of diet education in prevention of gestational diabetes mellitus among minorities’ women.
30. The role of care givers and the family in the support for cancer patients.
31. The need for changes in nursing roles within the modern society.
32. Integration of non-pharmacological treatment for patients with cancer.
33. The impact of soldier’s deployment status on individual treatment compliance practices.
34. Effective approaches in effective management of cancer symptoms.
35. Development of patient visitation models that enhance care and family support.
36. Development and implementation of best policies in the administration of chemotherapy drugs.
37. Effective management of patients suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
38. Key areas to invest in to help improve health informatics in rural healthcare facilities.
39. Need for changes in nursing training and professional development in the modern society.
40. Skills areas requisite for nurses in the management of healthcare technology.
41. Nursing role in the prevention of re-admission of stroke patients.
42. Approaches towards enhancement of data security in nursing informatics.
43. Effective approaches towards management and prevention of obesity among young children.
44. Enhancement of interoperability within nursing practice.
45. Best approaches in the treatment and prevention of diabetes in adults.
46. Employing data research in the improvement of patient safety in healthcare facilities.
47. The use of non-pharmacological treatment methods for dementia.
48. Effective approaches towards nursing education in informatics.
49. Approaches towards enhancement of healthcare access in rural areas for pregnant women.
50. Adoption of birth control medication approaches for adolescents.
51. Educational approaches for asthma among minority groups within healthcare establishments.
52. Care giving for children who have been diagnosed with terminal illness.
53. Approaches for effective management of pain post-anesthesia medication.
54. Effective ways of identifying and dealing with sexually abused children.
55. Effective approaches towards management of bedside shift reports.
56. Appropriate approaches towards caregiving for handicapped children.
57. Approaches towards enhancement of patient quality of life in cases of congestive heart failure.
58. Approaches towards orientation of nurses to clinical psychology.
59. Effectiveness of exercise in management and prevention of depression.
60. Effective programs for enhancement of healthcare access for pregnant women in suburban areas.
61. The impediments of bottle feeding compared to breastfeeding.
62. Effective management of chronic TB in HIV positive patients within healthcare facilities.
63. Effectiveness of college-based clinics in the diagnosis of STIs.
64. Appropriate approaches towards nurse workload and performance enhancement.
65. Appropriate approaches in the management of infectious diseases within healthcare facilities.
66. Enhancement of evidence-based practice in nursing care.
67. Appropriate measures in the management of spiraling healthcare costs in urban areas.
68. Most effective approaches for dealing with medical emergencies within a nursing environment.
69. Measures for mitigation of the spread of HIV in low socioeconomic areas.
70. Appropriate approaches for dealing with nurse shortages in the modern society.
71. Enhancement of collaboration between nurses and other healthcare workers.
72. Use of simulations in nursing practice education.
73. Promoting positive participation of government in the recruitment of nurses.
74. Sexual harassment and its implications within a nursing environment.
75. Prevention of contraction of infectious diseases by nurses while on duty.
76. Racial implications on healthcare practice among nurses.
77. Appropriateness of allowing nurses to prescribe different types of drugs.
78. Online nursing programs and their effectiveness in impacting requisite nurse skills.
79. Effective ways of addressing burn-out among nurses.
80. Workplace bullying within the nursing healthcare environment.
81. The role of the spiritual element in enhancing care by nurses.
82. Essence of effective communication skills among nurses in patient satisfaction.
83. The importance of strong nursing communities in healthcare provision.
84. Building effective leadership within the nursing care environment.
85. Approaches towards enhancement of emotional health among nurses.
In American Nurse Today, Marcia M. Rachel explains that accountability in nursing must include obligation, willingness, intent, ownership and commitment as essential components. Dr. Rachel explains obligation as a duty that comes with conse...
If you’re interested in pursuing a trusted, compassionate career in health care, you might be wondering “what do I need to become a nurse?” Though not necessarily as time consuming as becoming a doctor, becoming a nurse does require specifi...
The 2020 coronavirus pandemic certainly reminded the world of the importance of quality nursing. If you’re interested in training to become a nurse but don’t have the schedule flexibility you need to attend classes in person, an online nurs...
Capstone courses function as a bridge between the end of school and the beginning of a career, allowing nursing students to put what they've learned into
A nursing capstone project is also known as a senior capstone or a capstone experience. It refers to an academic paper that uses practical
Through the completion of their capstone, a nursing student is expected to demonstrate their ability to create evidence-based
A nursing capstone project also referred to as a senior capstone or capstone experience refers to an academic paper that consolidates
A nursing capstone can be based on nurse leadership, health care, cervical cancer, quality of life, standardized fall risk assessment tool, and
A capstone project helps one t cap their student experiences. · A capstone project also helps the nursing students to identify community needs that need urgent
What is a nursing capstone? It refers to an academic paper that uses experiments, facts, and practical work experience to better the professional skills of
To navigate, press the arrow keys. ... Our nationally recognized Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program is grounded in a foundation of
The Capstone is an individualized research project on a nursing topic of your professional or personal interest. Capstones provide you the
Capstone Project Proposal. The capstone project is a large scale project where learners choose a topic that relates to nursing and improving the learner's
A nursing capstone project is usually a clinical requirement for nursing students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The project is considered a